X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hotpuppy
    • May 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Suite] How to backup your site!

I noticed that the upgrad instructions omit this.... so here it is.

Foreword: More experienced users may have a different method that works for them. This is what I do that provides me with comfort that I can restore my site.

Step 1: Shut Forum via AdminCP. >Vbulletinoptions> Forum On / Off
    Step 2: Add message to forum on/off explaining what is going on.

Step 3: Go to Admincp> Maintenance
    Run the following
    - Repair/Optimize Tables (this eliminates overhead, trash and errors). If you are really conservative, backup before you repair, and then after.
    - Database Backup (if you have a large database you may not be able to use this..)
    - WARNING WARNING !!!! DO NOT PROCEED TO UPGRADE YOUR FORUM WITHOUT A BACKUP OF YOUR DATABASE.

Step 4: Using your cpanel or shell access, copy your forum folder to forum-hotbackup.
    This should be something like cp /forums /forums-hot-backup
    This step copies your entire folder structure in case you need to delete the upgrade and restore your site.

Step 5: Using your favorite FTP client, copy your forums folder to your local hard drive. I like to copy it to a folder with a date, such as /forums-21-dec-09

You can then proceed to upgrade or make major changes.

If you need to restore the site you can:
    - restore the database from the file you created
    - copy files as needed.

HOW TO RESTORE IN THE EVENT THAT ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE AND YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SITE UP:
    Step 1:
    - using your Cpanel or shell access, rename forums to forums-aborted (see above for details)

Step 2:
    - FTP: Copy your backup forums to /forums (or where you keep it) to the site. Example : /public_html/forums
    - Cpanel: Copy forums-hot-backup to forums

Step 3: Access your admincp and go to Maintenance>Database Backup: Restore Database

May all your upgrades go smoothly and you always have a lifeboat!
  • Hotpuppy
    • May 2009
    • 3.8.x

I wound up needing to do a restore and I can vouch that restoring your files and then deleting the DB and then recreating the DB from your backup will work.

Comment

• Hotpuppy
      • May 2009
      • 3.8.x

I also recommend making a database backup before you disable your plugins, and then again after you slim down your board.

This gives you a "back like nothing ever happened" point and a "before I clicked upgrade" point.

Comment

• ampersand
        • Mar 2005

what about duplicating your database after forum shutdown and use that duplicate for the new forum. I though that would take less time ?

Comment

• citrix
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.8.x

May I easiliy take just the new files and set them up with my 3.8.4 database? so I dont need to create an extra copy of the old 3.8.4 files ... attachments and smileys and so on are handled extra.

Comment

• Hotpuppy
            • May 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ampersand
            what about duplicating your database after forum shutdown and use that duplicate for the new forum. I though that would take less time ?
            The idea here is to provide a recovery path. I recommend following the steps outlined in the manual.

I made a backup in two points:
            - when I started
            - After I shutdown.

This gives me a way to recover from a failed backup completely (first backup) and a way to reset to the point where I'm ready to upgrade (after shutdown).

You might want to reset to where you are ready upgrade if you forgot to disable a plugin and want to re-run the upgrade.

Comment

• Hotpuppy
              • May 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by citrix
              May I easiliy take just the new files and set them up with my 3.8.4 database? so I dont need to create an extra copy of the old 3.8.4 files ... attachments and smileys and so on are handled extra.
              Filespace is much cheaper than time. My database is 23MB. My Host (Hostgator.com) gives me an astronomical amount of diskspace and bandwidth that I rarely put a dent in. So for me it's easier to copy the files and use diskspace then it is to chase after one stupid file that might be missing.

I recommend following the manual (not the readme) with one exception.

I ftp'd the "upload" folder to a temporary folder.... (/forums-newfiles)

I then used cpanel (you could use shell script as well) to copy the files from there to the forums. This allowed me to do copying with the site up and minimize down time for my upgrade.

I did have issues with the database during the upgrade and have had to restore twice now, so these steps do work for me.

Comment

• COBRAws
                • May 2005
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Hotpuppy
                I noticed that the upgrad instructions omit this.... so here it is.

Foreword: More experienced users may have a different method that works for them. This is what I do that provides me with comfort that I can restore my site.

Step 1: Shut Forum via AdminCP. >Vbulletinoptions> Forum On / Off
                Step 2: Add message to forum on/off explaining what is going on.

Step 3: Go to Admincp> Maintenance
                Run the following
                - Repair/Optimize Tables (this eliminates overhead, trash and errors). If you are really conservative, backup before you repair, and then after.
                - Database Backup (if you have a large database you may not be able to use this..)
                - WARNING WARNING !!!! DO NOT PROCEED TO UPGRADE YOUR FORUM WITHOUT A BACKUP OF YOUR DATABASE.

Step 4: Using your cpanel or shell access, copy your forum folder to forum-hotbackup.
                This should be something like cp /forums /forums-hot-backup
                This step copies your entire folder structure in case you need to delete the upgrade and restore your site.

Step 5: Using your favorite FTP client, copy your forums folder to your local hard drive. I like to copy it to a folder with a date, such as /forums-21-dec-09

You can then proceed to upgrade or make major changes.

If you need to restore the site you can:
                - restore the database from the file you created
                - copy files as needed.

HOW TO RESTORE IN THE EVENT THAT ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE AND YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SITE UP:
                Step 1:
                - using your Cpanel or shell access, rename forums to forums-aborted (see above for details)

Step 2:
                - FTP: Copy your backup forums to /forums (or where you keep it) to the site. Example : /public_html/forums
                - Cpanel: Copy forums-hot-backup to forums

Step 3: Access your admincp and go to Maintenance>Database Backup: Restore Database

May all your upgrades go smoothly and you always have a lifeboat!
                If you have cPanel the best way to backup is using the cPanel backup utility, it does not only backs up your DB, it also backups your files and other internal configurations such as Aliases, subdomains, emails, etc. You can choose to save it on the server or download it. If you choose to store it on the server it's gonna be easier to restore the backup.

Cya

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...