Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • annc
    • Oct 2004

Spammers bypassing human interface questions

Running version 3.8.9 and suddenly, in the past 24 hours, we have been hit by a heap of spammers who appear to be bypassing the question and answer method we use as our human interface checks. I have deleted the old questions and replaced them with new ones, but they are still getting past.

I checked Stop Forum Spam and the IP addresses, all different, aren't showing up there, so it seems we are the only ones being targeted.

Has this happened to anyone else in the past day or so? Does anyone have a solution? I'm happy to install reCAPTCHA if there's a good chance that will solve the problem, but if they're getting past the questions and answer method, is it probable that they can get past any of the installed human interface barriers?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

These days, it isn't uncommon to have humans register and then machines post spam. The Anti-spam measures in vBulletin 3.8.X are pretty limited. If you can your best bet would be to implement Google's Recaptcha v.2. You will also want to subscribe to the Akismet Anti-spam service and turn that on in your AdminCP under vBulletin Options.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• annc
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      These days, it isn't uncommon to have humans register and then machines post spam. The Anti-spam measures in vBulletin 3.8.X are pretty limited. If you can your best bet would be to implement Google's Recaptcha v.2. You will also want to subscribe to the Akismet Anti-spam service and turn that on in your AdminCP under vBulletin Options.
      Thanks for the response. I'll try those two options and see if they can stop the onslaught.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...