• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suiram
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

session table gets full - from hackers

as per;

my question is; what exactly causes the table to get "full"?

in over 10 years of hosting my small vb forum via godaddy (yes, godaddy) i never had that issue. one thing GD does, is give you very generous "limits" with any of their plans; hdd space, database sizes, and all that. so maybe it never got full at GD because i had plenty of "resources" to handle much larger table "sizes" than now?!?

i went with a new host around 2 years ago, for this vb forum, (still have other GD stuff) and i now had that table get full. seems it craps out at under 10mb (looking at pic). i can just empty it manually, and that fixes it, but i want to know a few things;

1.) is that specific table size limited by the forum software or my host?

2.) if it is a hosting limit, what setting on their server should i ask to be increased - assuming they would comply.

3.) what is the exact verbatim instruction to add the cron job to clear that table daily for vb 3.x? the official answer in the linked thread didn't work for me. maybe i did it wrong, but not really, as i followed the "footer code" instruction to a tea -- but it definitely wasn't right, as i actually got the "code" shown on the actual forum front page. so either way, someone please post the exact code to use so that the forum itself "flushes" that session table each day via a cron job. use this format please; go to: vb admin cp > setting 1> setting 2 > "code" > save

fyi; it was chinese hackers/army "flooding" my site that caused this table to get filled and make the forum site "crash" with a database error. that is why it happened. so it is either that for 10+ years at GD i was never "hassled" like this, or i was, and like i postulate, had plenty of resources to deal with it and so never noticed. i was getting like 200+ "visitors" each day non stop. sometimes more, and my "most users online" record is now 2.4k+ because of the red army - death be upon them.

i was manually emptying the table and they kept returning so i dealt with them via htaccess;

Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from 52.80
    Deny from 52.83
    Deny from 54.36

that was a couple weeks ago, and all is good now. however i would like to know what limits the table. that is, can increase its limit somehow? if yes, how? ..and i also wish to clear the table automatically each day anyway, so if i get flooded by, maybe russians next, the daily cleaning would fix any potential issues.

thanks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	r52Dgkd.png
Views:	689
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4404448
  • Suiram
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

bump time.. i know staff avoid vb 3 topics, but try.. find your new year spirit and reply kindly.

Comment

• AliMadkour
      • Dec 2004
      • 6.X

Hello,

What is your current value in vBulletin Options->Cookies and HTTP Header Options->Session Timeout

can you also take a screenshot of Scheduled Tasks->Scheduled Task Manager

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Need Help?, Or P.M. Me

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The maximum size of a MEMORY table is 16 megabytes with default settings. Your image shows it at 16.1 MB with over 9200 rows.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0...eap_table_size

This table should never be full unless you have an extremely active forum. Records will be deleted from it one hour after they expire. They expire based on your cookie timeout value in the AdminCP. In a default installation, this is 15 minutes.

If you continually have this error, then you need to increase the available size or convert the table to INNODB if you're using MySQL 5.5. or higher.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 4 Jan '19, 3:05pm.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Suiram
          • Dec 2008
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by AliMadkour
          Hello,

What is your current value in vBulletin Options->Cookies and HTTP Header Options->Session Timeout

can you also take a screenshot of Scheduled Tasks->Scheduled Task Manager
          1.) 900
          2.) https://i.imgur.com/IwvnkB4.png

@wayne..
          not active at all. but it was with 500/2000+ CN hackers or bots or something when this was happening. like i said, i ip banned them. now it's back to normal, since i posted op.

Comment