Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill-SWJ
    • Sep 2005

Migrating from 3.8.9 to version ?? on PHP 7

Hi. I've got a clunky old implementation of 3.8.9 on an old server that we could not update any further because the newer vBulletin needed newer PHP. We are now moving over to a new server with PHP 7 and I'm trying to figure out what to do with our vBulletin.

Any tips? Can you focus the support I need to reach out and find?

I'm doing my homework now, trying to find these answers, hoping someone can help steer me in --

-- Will vBulletin 3.8.9 work in PHP 7 environment? (I see the comment that 3.8.11 will not work with php 7.2)

-- If yes, great, I can get it over there to the new server and just work my way through the appropriate updates. Looking for what the intermediate steps are, I'm pretty I have to go from 3.x to 4.x and maybe a few intermediate 4.y and zs before I can go to 5.x

-- If no, what sort of intermediate steps should I do to get from the vBulletin I've got to one that will? i.e. a PHP version that will run vBulletin 3.8.9 and let me upgrade it along the path to version x.y, and then jump over into PHP 7.

Thanks for anything you can offer to help me find a clue.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You must use vBulletin 3.8.11, 4.2.5 or 5.3.0+ if you wish to use PHP 7. I recommend upgrading MySQL to 5.7 at the same time.

You should be able to download 3.8.11 from your member's area and upgrade to it. The minimum PHP version for it is 5.6.0. So if you're using a version older than that, you will probably want to move the database plus any external data files like attachments and style images to the new server with PHP 7, upload the vBulletin 3.8.11 files and then run the vBulletin upgrade. The same would be required if you decided to upgrade to 4.2.5.

If you wanted to upgrade to 5.4.0, you can upgrade directly from vBulletin 3.8.9. The upgrade system will take care of all the intermediary steps. This would require an upgrade to your current license. If you upgrade to vBulletin 5.4.0, then I suggest using the command line upgrade process if possible. It is much faster than the web-based upgrade.

If it were my server, the steps would be:
    1. Turn off vBulletin on the old server.
    2. Migrate Database to the new server.
    3. Migrate Attachments to the new server.
    4. Upload files for the chosen version.
    5. Run Upgrade.php.
    6. Verify that things are working.
    7. Turn on vBulletin on the new server.

Depending on how the contracts on your servers are set up, you might want to do two migrations. One for testing and the second to get new content from the database.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Important to note that VB 3.8.11 and VB 4.2.5 are the last planned versions in the 3.x and 4.x branch. They support up through PHP 7.1.x which will be maintained by the PHP people for at least about another 18 months.

Only vBulletin 5.x will work with PHP 7.2 and beyond.

If you go to 3.8.11 your PHP 7 must be PHP 7.0.x or 7.1.x.

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
        • Sep 2005

Thanks a LOT Wayne & Joe.

Comment

• Grover
          • May 2001
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
          Important to note that VB 3.8.11 and VB 4.2.5 are the last planned versions in the 3.x and 4.x branch. They support up through PHP 7.1.x which will be maintained by the PHP people for at least about another 18 months.

Only vBulletin 5.x will work with PHP 7.2 and beyond.

If you go to 3.8.11 your PHP 7 must be PHP 7.0.x or 7.1.x.
          Our host is upgrading their servers soon from PHP 5.5 to PHP 7.1 or PHP 7.2 (not clear yet which one). I am (obviously) still on vBulletin 3.8.11 and I would like to know if that version will be made compatible with PHP 7.2 as well? Or will it never go beyond PHP 7.1? If the latter is the case, I know what decision I need to make.
          How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Grover
            • May 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grover

Our host is upgrading their servers soon from PHP 5.5 to PHP 7.1 or PHP 7.2 (not clear yet which one). I am (obviously) still on vBulletin 3.8.11 and I would like to know if that version will be made compatible with PHP 7.2 as well? Or will it never go beyond PHP 7.1? If the latter is the case, I know what decision I need to make.
            I just found this on vBulletin.org:

Originally posted by Paul M
            The final release of 3.8.11 will be next week.
            This allows vB3 to run on PHP 7.0 & PHP 7.1

JFYI, I have PHP 7.2 installed on a test server, and changes in that will upset vB3.
            I'm leaving IB, so I wont [officially] work on any 3.8.12, and I'm certain no one else will either.
            So does this mean, there will never be support for PHP 7.2 and higher for the vB 3.8 branche?
            How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

I just found this on vBulletin.org:

So does this mean, there will never be support for PHP 7.2 and higher for the vB 3.8 branche?
              Yes that is correct. Both vB3 and vB4 are now 'end of life' from a development perspective.
              The vBulletin 3.X software is considered to be End of Life software. While we will strive to support the latest version, we do not foresee any further development of the series.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

The only versions of vBulletin compatible with 7.2 and higher is vBulletin 5.4.0 and higher.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mattwhf
                  • May 2016
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Bill-SWJ
                  Hi. I've got a clunky old implementation of 3.8.9 on an old server that we could not update any further because the newer vBulletin needed newer PHP. We are now moving over to a new server with PHP 7 and I'm trying to figure out what to do with our vBulletin.

Any tips? Can you focus the support I need to reach out and find?.
                  I would recommend using vB 4.2.5 with PHP 7 if you have already got a responsive template for your vB4 forum. Vice versa, vB5 is a good option to move to, it is new version of vB and you can use more good features on this version.

Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
                  Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment