Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas-Hunter
    • Jan 2009

Not Going To First New Post

Many of my members are having an issue going to the first new post in a thread. They will go to new posts and in that list of threads they click on the down arrow in front of the thread title and it will take them to either the first post or one of the posts in the middle of the thread which they have already read. Not always to the first new post. Sometimes when they click on the right arrows just after the person who last posted in the thread, which should take them to the last post in the thread, it doesn't do. It seems to be an issue with different browsers as well, Safari, FireFox, Chrome.. It has happened to me as well.. Any ideas??
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

What is the format of the URL when they click on it? It has to have the #XXXX bit at the end to find the newest unread post for that user.

I'd have to ask what changed on your end to cause this though. We haven't updated this functionality in vBulletin 3 for over a decade.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Texas-Hunter
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      What is the format of the URL when they click on it? It has to have the #XXXX bit at the end to find the newest unread post for that user.

I'd have to ask what changed on your end to cause this though. We haven't updated this functionality in vBulletin 3 for over a decade.

I have done nothing to the forum in a very long time, again it does not do this all the time. Currently it is working fine for me. Should I be asking for the URL's from those that are having an issue to see what may be happening?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

We need to know if the URLs are formed properly. If you haven't changed anything, maybe the hosting provider did. Or newer browsers are having a problem with some of the code.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Texas-Hunter
          • Jan 2009

OK, it finally happened to me today.. I made a post at 5:49 PM and then there were two more posts placed and I went to go to new post first at 6:08 PM and it took me to the first post in the thread.. May I ask how often dose the website update the forums / posts.. Could that be an issue?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

The last post is updated immediately when a new post is added. If you're on a thread and it is only one page, that thread will be marked as read for you even if you just refresh the page. Loading the last page of a thread marks it as read. If you have your Read Marking set to cookie-based (not recommended since 2004), then you will lose all read markers after 15 minutes of inactivity. You can change your read marking setting under Settings -> Options -> General Settings. I recommend using Database with Automatic marking.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Texas-Hunter
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              The last post is updated immediately when a new post is added. If you're on a thread and it is only one page, that thread will be marked as read for you even if you just refresh the page. Loading the last page of a thread marks it as read. If you have your Read Marking set to cookie-based (not recommended since 2004), then you will lose all read markers after 15 minutes of inactivity. You can change your read marking setting under Settings -> Options -> General Settings. I recommend using Database with Automatic marking.
              The settings have been the same as you are requesting.. The quest goes on..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I am at a loss. There hasn't been significant development on vBulletin 3.8.X since 2009 or 2010. Did you upgrade PHP on your server recently?

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment