What could be causing an AJAX Unicode Issue?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beansbaxter
    • May 2005
    • 3.8.x

What could be causing an AJAX Unicode Issue?

I am in the process of moving a site to a new server.

The site works fine on the old server, but I'm having a problem on the new server where changes made in the ACP are not being saved.

I went to Diagnostics and ran the Problematic Web Modules, and there is a problem with AJAX Unicode Issue.

This is fresh, new server and mod_security was not installed, so there's nothing to disable.

All of the AJAX functions on the forum seem to be working, but clicking Save on any pages in the ACP don't go through.

What else could be causing this?

Running vBulletin 3.8 and the new server is CentOS 6.9, Apache 2.4, MySQL 5.6, PHP 5.4
    Last edited by beansbaxter; Wed 19 Jul '17, 12:24am.
    PNW Moto
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Can you try re-downloading the ZIP file from the Members Area and re-upload all files (except install/install.php and includes/config.php.new) making sure you overwrite all files currently on your server.

Does this resolve the problem?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• beansbaxter
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

Per your instructions, I downloaded a new ZIP file from the Member's Area and uploaded the files, overwriting the old files.

When I goto Diagnostics, Problematic Web Modules... it no longer shows a problem with the AJAX Unicode Issue. Before, it said yes, and now it says no.

But the same problem occurs when trying to save anything within ACP. I am unable to save any changes I make in the vBulletin Options.

On the front end, the AJAX and buttons all work, as they should, so I don't know what else could be causing this?

Thoughts?
      PNW Moto

Comment

• Dan49
        Dan49 commented
        Editing a comment
    • beansbaxter
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

Here are some other things I've tried...

I've completely cleared out my browser's cache and history, and the problem still occurs.

For whatever reason, when looking at Problematic Web Modules, AJAX Unicode Issue, Chrome now shows "no" and Firefox shows "yes". The problem still occurs in both browsers.

I've disabled the vBulletin plugin/hook system, and the problem still occurs.

The forum was running 3.8.8 and I've upgraded to 3.9, and the problem still occurs.

I don't know what else to try? I've never had this problem before with any forum transfer to this server environment.
      PNW Moto

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Go to vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings. Scroll down to "Disable AJAX Features". Set it to "Disable Problematic AJAX". Does this help alleviate some of your problems.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• beansbaxter
          • May 2005
          • 3.8.x

That did not work because going back to the original problem, I am unable to save any changes made into the ACP.

But I finally figured out what was going on... the /admincp/ directory was password protected. I removed the .htaccess file from /admincp/ which controls the login access... and voila! Everything works now!

The forum was functioning correctly, but there were different functions in the ACP that was not working - AJAX and POST requests.

It all works now, hope that helps out anyone else who may experience this issue.
          PNW Moto

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

The AdminCP doesn't use any AJAX. Even in vBulletin 5, it doesn't use AJAX.

How did you have your AdminCP protected? Your behavior suggests that you weren't actually authorized. We recommend a basic .htaccess authorization via username/password or IP address in the AdminCP and Mod directories. You shouldn't do this on other directories in vBulletin 3.X.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment