• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ric Ordea
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

Varnish Caching Issue

My site is corareef.org

I would really like to upgrade to vBulletin 5 but customer service said we need to fix some problems before upgrading.

We are currently running VB 3.8.8 with vBadvanced CMPS and TapaTalk plugins and we are seeing function issues related to thread posts, recognizing new posts, mobile posting, and also login. I tried disabling the plugins but it made no difference. Can someone please help me figure out these issues? I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,
    Ric
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

More information is needed. Can you post the specific steps to recreate your issues? Also provide the necessary information for your server such as PHP Version, MySQL Version, Web Server and Version.

Also, I would recommend upgrading the site to 3.8.10 as the issues may be related to the version of PHP being used.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ric Ordea
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

Thanks Wayne. Here are the specs:

PHP Version: 5.6.29
      MySQL Version: 5.6.32-78.1
      Web Server and Version: Linux box6059.bluehost.com 3.12.65-20161020.132.ELK6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 20 23:36:20 CDT 2016 x86_64

If I view threads with new posts, leave the site and come back it sometimes shows the posts as being unread. Other times it shows new posts as being read.
      Sometimes If it will look like a thread has a new post. If I go in and take a look, I don't see anything new until I refresh the page.
      If I try to log in, the site looks like I haven't logged in until I navigate to a thread.

I'm not sure how easy it is to upgrade to 3.8.10. I'd rather purchase the vBulletin upgrade and have you do it and trouble shoot these issues. Is that an option?

Comment

• Set3sh
        • Jan 2013
        • 5.2.x

Hello,

Please lower the cache revalidation time.

Kind regards,
        George.

Comment

• Ric Ordea
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.6.x

I think I fixed it. I found this thread:
          I have scoured the internet and have found bits and pieces relating to similar (if not the same issue) going back years. Version 3.8.8 The issue: a few days ago

and contacted Bluehost. We upgraded to their Cloud hosting at the beginning of Feb. Apparently Varnish is running. I was able to disable it and now everything seems fine.

Thanks!

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

That would do it, Varnish is very bad for forums.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment