Clear All
  • Bill-SWJ
    • Sep 2005

Error on updating from 3.8.8 PL1 to 3.8.9 PL1

Hello.

I am getting this error when trying to update:
    Step 2) Import latest admin help

Importing vbulletin-adminhelp.xml
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /var/www/vhosts/council.smallwarsjournal.com/includes/adminfunctions_language.php on line 966

I have tried re-uploading that file, then based on a few things I saw when searching all the xml files and all the includes, then finally the whole install. Still getting the same error.

The other anomaly I'm seeing is my CuteFTP 8.3 Pro filters has the server side option greyed out, which I used to set to -a.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Bill-SWJ
    • Sep 2005

P.S. using PHP 5.2.17 and MySQL 5.1.72-ius-log

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
      • Sep 2005

I am re-uploading all now with File > Transfer Type > Ascii just in case I screwed that up the first time. Results TBD. On completion, I will re-enter the upgrade script with fingers crossed.

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
        • Sep 2005

Nope. Still same error. I am dead in the water. Fingers crossed that someone comes along here shortly to dope slap me out of my predicament.

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
          • Sep 2005

OK, I now see this is a php 5.2 vs 5.3 or 5.4 thing. D'OH!!

So now I am trying to figure out whether to:

a) get my host to update php now
          b) try to restore 3.8.8 from backups, which I have from overnight for the database but stupidly not from the moment I began my update

I do have the system files from 3.8.8 PL1. Can I just put them back and then re-run the upgrade script? Or will that wreak havoc on the database?

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

Upgrade PHP - 5.2 is just really ancient, even 5.3, 5.4 & 5.5 are EOL now.

As far as the files go, I believe you could just upload the 3.8.8 files, and the forum should be ok.

(it will still say 3.8.9 in the footer).
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
              • Sep 2005

Thanks, Paul.

I'm looking at that with our server administrator. My concern is that, although that will almost certainly fix my vBulletin problem, it might introduce new problems with our similarly archaic Drupal 6 package that is running the other part of our site.

We are a mess, I'm dusting myself off and trying to sort out a bunch of issues. Off to an auspicious start!

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
                • Sep 2005

P.S. updating in case anyone runs into this thread in the future....

I put back the 3.8.8 files and ran the upgrade script again. There's an atypical alert at the start but otherwise it goes through the steps and is back with a functioning site. Shows 3.8.9 on the site footer but 3.8.8 in the Admin CP.

Immediate crisis past. Now on to my outdated install of php.

Comment