X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Diver
    • May 2003

Delete users that registered after x date

Hey,

I have a major problem with spam - Actually gave up on the forum for a long time because of it.

Is there a way to delete users that registered after a certain date?
    Im sure I will be deleting some legit users but theres thousands of spam accounts and I want to delete them and all their posts.

The prune function doesnt have the option.

Hopefully someone can help so I can get my forum going again and get something to stop so much spam in the future

Thanks
    John Diver
  • pet0etie
    • Mar 2010
    • 3.8.x

in sql that must be something like :

PHP Code:
    delete from prefix_user
    where date
    (from_unixtime(joindate)) >= '2016-01-01' 
    more safer option would be to transfer those users to a particular usergroup with

PHP Code:
    update prefix_user
    set usergroupid 
    = ...
    where date(from_unixtime(joindate)) >= '2016-01-01' 

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

To be clear, you should not delete users with SQL like above, there will still be entries for them in other tables, which could cause you problems.

The second option would be better - create a new usergroup for them, and use the query to move them all into it. That also means you could move any real users back into your active usergroup if necessary.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• John Diver
        • May 2003

Hey, thank you both for replying

One thing though, if I changed people to a usergroup - How would that differentiate the legit users from the spammers?

I'm talking thousands of signups, Id say maybe 5% are legit.. Theres no way I can weed out all the spam accounts from legit..

If I moved the users how would I know the legit from the real if I still let them post? Id say it would be better to delete all from the main / rough date that they registered and allow the legit members to re-register. Im sure I will lose members but I cant run the forum with the huge amount of spam thats going on.

Anyone anyone recommend a good mod from vb.org to stop spam registrations please? The default vb options arent working now, it was fine before but spam accounts are getting past it

Thanks again
        John Diver

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

As Paul says, don't delete via a query, especially when there's the Prune Users function in AdminCP!:

AdminCP > Users > Prune/Move Users

Do it in batches rather than try doing all at once...
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• John Diver
            • May 2003

Hey Trevor,

The prune option doesnt give the option to delete registered users after a certain date, I was looking at that before so I thought an SQL query was the only option
            John Diver

Comment