Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vBulletin 3.8.9 PL1 - RSS Feeds Issues from an External Website & Localhost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vBulletin 3.8.9 PL1 - RSS Feeds Issues from an External Website & Localhost

    I have had issues retrieving the RSS Feeds from: http://www.wikihow.com/feed.rss for as long as I can remember. I keep getting the Error With "Invalid Characters". I have found out that they dont use a Language Encoding in their Feeds Template, and thats why i get the Error.

    This is the first line of the RSS XML File on Wikihow.com <?xml version="1.0"?>. Iff I replace the line with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>, then it works fine. I tested it earlier on my Localhost befor Upgrading to "Patch Level 1".

    But After I upgraded to vBulletin 3.8.9 Patch Level 1, I still have the same issue. Plus Now I can no longer Test or Retrieve the XML File/Feeds from my Localhost either. It keeps throwing the following Warning:

    PHP User Warning: Unable to fetch RSS Feed in ....\includes\class_rss_poster.php on line 157

    I have Traced this issue and found out that the new Patch Level 1 contains a new File Called class_vurl.php, and a New class_rss_poster.php. And this is the code in class_vurl.php that declines my localhost:

    Code:
      // VBV-11823, do not allow localhost and 127.0.0.0/8 range by default
            if (!isset($urlinfo['host']) OR preg_match('#localhost|127\.(\d)+\.(\d)+\.(\d)+#i', $urlinfo['host']))
            {
                return false;
            }
    If I disable the line "return false;" then I can Retrieve the XML from my Localhost without any problems. So Now I have a New Problem after Installing Patch Level 1.

    1. I wanted to know how I can bypass this issue and Test Feeds from my Localhost.
    2. And for the Language Encoding Part, I was hoping that in the next Patch vBulletin could include a method to Automatically Include the Language Encoding field if its missing.

    Feel free to advice me towards a solution for these issues on Patch Level 1. Thank you,

    Ps, Sorry about the Typo in Thread Title. "LP1" should've been "PL1".
    Last edited by ChiNa; Thu 22nd Sep '16, 2:36pm.
    Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
    I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!

  • #2
    The first issue closes a security hole that could compromise your site.

    The second issue is tricky and will cause a lot more problems. Probably easier to get wikihow to define their character set properly so it works.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you Wayne Luke, Totally Understandable. I have already tried to contact WikiHow.com the same day as I noticed the missing encoding. But havn't heard anything yet.

      And for the Localhost Issue, It means I have to Disable it durring testings and re-enable it again.

      Thank you the answer.
      Last edited by ChiNa; Fri 23rd Sep '16, 7:50am.
      Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
      I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you

        Comment

        Working...
        X