SERIOUS disaster on my part - Removed threads through pruning - I have a backup but just want the threads / posts back

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Diver
    • May 2003

SERIOUS disaster on my part - Removed threads through pruning - I have a backup but just want the threads / posts back

Hey,

I was writing I don't know how this happened but I went back to history and I know exactly what happened...

I had a huge amount of spam - So I selected to delete all in the moderation queue, when I went back it said I have more threads - I thought they just had to be deleted also and automatically thought it was still on delete moderated but it was set to all.... Nightmare.

I have a backup database but only want to restore the threads and posts.. Is this easy enough to do so everything is linked?

I did quite a bit of work on the style so this would be so much easier and the backup is from a few days ago.

Thanks
    John Diver
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Are you saying you deleted every thread & post on the forum ?
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• John Diver
      • May 2003

This is a small forum so it was only around 4000 threads - I was working on a backup after the site was badly hacked and I had to do a lot of work on the style also.
      When it said there was still x threads to delete I thought the script timed out when it went automatically went back to the pruning page as it pruned 20k + threads so I hit prune again.

John Diver

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

The safest way I would think is to just export the style(s) to XML.
        Then restore the whole forum from your pre-delete backup, and re-import the style(s).

You could backup the template, style & stylevar tables if you want to be doubly sure you have the later style data.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• John Diver
          • May 2003

Thanks Paul, I didnt even think about just saving the xml.

Might lose a few users / posts and have to prune again but seems like the best option.

Thanks Paul
          John Diver

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...