• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

vBulletin 3.8.10

Beta 2 was released yesterday, which includes the latest security fixes.

Note that 3.8.10 requires php 5.5.0 as a minimum, however, it is not supported on php 7.
    Baby, I was born this way
  • Gary Fischman
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.0.10+

Really? You're forcing a PHP upgrade from 5.4 to 5.5 between Beta versions? And that includes a Security upgrade that generally needs to be fixed quickly?!?

Seriously - this needs to work with 5.4. Really.

Comment

• wangyu1314
      • Jun 2005

Because PHP 5.4 is EOL

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Gary Fischman
        Really? You're forcing a PHP upgrade from 5.4 to 5.5 between Beta versions? And that includes a Security upgrade that generally needs to be fixed quickly?!?

Seriously - this needs to work with 5.4. Really.
        Yes, really.

No, 5.4 isnt supported on this version, and isnt going to be.

Comment

• Gary Fischman
          • Jan 2001
          • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by Paul M
          Yes, really.

No, 5.4 isnt supported on this version, and isnt going to be.
          This is amazingly obnoxious! Right here, I asked about it, and was told 5.4 was needed for 3.8.10. So I went through the pain of rebuilding my server to support it. And now you're pulling the rug out midway through the release!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...4339472-3-8-10

If it were simple to move to 5.5 or 5.6, I would do it. But it isn't. Not even a little. I run CentOS 7, which is the latest version of CentOS, and it still comes packaged with 5.4.

Do you care at all? Even a little?
          Last edited by Gary Fischman; Fri 5 Aug '16, 7:02am.

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

I cannot help that you find simple facts "obnoxious", but thats how it is.
            The minumum requirement for Beta 2 is 5.5.0, ranting at me about it isnt going to achieve anything.

As to upgrading php, I run quite a few test servers, and change php around on them, its not really that hard with yum.
            Even my live server has gone from 5.3 > 5.4 > 5.5 > 5.6 in the last 18 months (all on Centos 6 btw), my php 7 server is still running centos 6.

Comment

• wangyu1314
              • Jun 2005

This is amazingly obnoxious! Right here, I asked about it, and was told 5.4 was needed for 3.8.10. So I went through the pain of rebuilding my server to support it. And now you're pulling the rug out midway through the release!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...4339472-3-8-10

If it were simple to move to 5.5 or 5.6, I would do it. But it isn't. Not even a little. I run CentOS 7, which is the latest version of CentOS, and it still comes packaged with 5.4.

Do you care at all? Even a little?
              Here many and many HIGHER version php for centos product server. should very stable.
              I running centos 6.8 and php7 through this repo now.

yum can install repo and yum install package.
              http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/s...ntOS/7/x86_64/

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

The nature of software development means we cannot continue to support old versions of php forever.
                In this case it is no longer practical to retain support for php 5.4 in vBulletin 3. Eventually that will happen with vBulletin 5 too. vBulletin 3 is itself very old technology and we are only updating it with minimal changes to add support for php 7. Doing so quickly and efficiently means we sometimes need to drop support for older php versions in the process - we are not going to completely recode the product to get round the incompatibilities.

I appreciate you are disappointed with this. Attacking vBulletin staff isn't going to change anything and is a breach of the forum rules you agreed to at signup.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Gary Fischman
                  • Jan 2001
                  • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by Mark.B

I appreciate you are disappointed with this. Attacking vBulletin staff isn't going to change anything and is a breach of the forum rules you agreed to at signup.
                  I'm not "attacking staff". I'm expressing displeasure in the hopes that someone will realize that others are severely impacted by these decisions and offer some actual assistance rather than a curt "No, 5.4 isnt supported on this version, and isnt going to be."

Comment

• Gary Fischman
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 3.0.10+

Perhaps someone would be so kind as to at least let me know what type of attachments are involved in the security breach. If I can't upgrade vBulletin, at least I should be able to mitigate the risk by disabling the ability to upload that particular type of attachment, right?

Comment

• motd2
                      motd2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Is it so difficult to take two files from the release 3.8.10 Beta 2 and upload them?
                      includes/class_vurl.php
                      includes/class_rss_poster.php
                  • Gary Fischman
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 3.0.10+

Who is your comment directed at? If its directed at me, then the answer is "yes", because up until the time you posted that, I would have no way of knowing those are the only changes from Beta 1 to Beta 2. Are those the only files that changed? I wouldn't know because vBulletin won't publish a patch release. Also, another thread indicated that its not just files that get uploaded, but the upgrade script needs to be run as well, so there must be other changes.

Not sure why your snarky response was required.

Comment

• motd2
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 3.8.x

from Beta 1 to Beta 2
                      If you just need a patch for 3.8.10 Beta 1

see my comment http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...28#post4350028

If you want to upgrade to 3.8.10 Beta 2 (php 5.4) make changes in includes/functions_misc.php
                      I see 3.8.10 beta in the member area, but I can't find any release notes for it. Are there release notes available? Will there be a GA release of this at some point? Will 3.8.10 work with PHP 5.3.3? My

If you need the correct upgrade to 3.8.10 Beta 2 - upgrade php to 5.6, then upgrade forum to 3.8.10 Beta 2

Comment

• Gary Fischman
                        • Jan 2001
                        • 3.0.10+

OK, just so we're on the same page: you're saying that if I just take those two files from the Beta 2 distro and upload them on top of Beta 1, that will fix the security issue? Just curious - how do you know?

Comment

• motd2
                          • Jun 2010
                          • 3.8.x

It's easy. Compare patches from the other versions.

Comment

• Gary Fischman
                            • Jan 2001
                            • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by motd2
                            It's easy. Compare patches from the other versions.
                            If that's the only thing you have to go by, you're making a huge assumption.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...