X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tourmeister
    • Sep 2005

PayPal is upgrading the certificate for www.paypal.com to SHA-256

So I got this email from Paypal,

As we have previously communicated to you, PayPal is upgrading the certificate for www.paypal.com to SHA-256. This endpoint is also used by merchants using the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) product.

This upgrade is scheduled for 9/30/2015; however, we may need to change this date on short notice to you to align to the industry security standard.

You’re receiving this notification because you’ve been identified as a merchant who has used IPN endpoints within the past year. If you have not made the necessary changes, we urge you to do so right away to avoid a disruption of your service!
    Because these changes are technical in nature, we advise that you consult with your individuals responsible for your PayPal integration. They will be able to identify what, if any, changes are needed. Please share this email and the hyperlinks below with your technical contact for evaluation.
    Testing in the Sandbox is one of the best ways to make sure your integration works. Sandbox endpoints have been upgraded to accept secure connections by the SHA-256 Certificates.
    Full technical details can be found in our Merchant Security System Upgrade Guide. In addition, our 2015-2016 SSL Certificate Change microsite contains a schedule of our service upgrade plan.
    Thanks for your patience as we continue to improve our services.

I am still running vB3.8.1.

My users donate to the site via payments through PayPal. Some are one time and some are automatically recurring.

1. Do I really need to upgrade the paypal certs?
    2. Where do the paypal certs go? ie, what directory? In with all the rest of the openssl certs?
    3. Can anybody explain how the paypal payment code works? Is it just dumping users off to paypal page then watching for incoming emails from paypal? Or is paypal really talking to an API on the vbulletin side?
    4. Has anybody configured their site to use the temporary paypal site?

Thanks!
    Scott Friday
    Two Wheeled Texans
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

This is related to the service stack on your web server. No changes are needed in vBulletin. You need to contact your web host or server administrator to see if your service stack complies with the required changes.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Tourmeister
      • Sep 2005

Thanks Trevor.

I checked the settings on my Paypal account and IPN is disabled. So in theory, I shouldn't need to even do anything to my server. I guess when midnight rolls around tonight, I'll see if everything is good...
      Scott Friday
      Two Wheeled Texans

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...