X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big_bob
    • Mar 2009
    • 3.8.x

3.8 problems

Hi people, i was running vbul and now the forum has disappeared from view altogether, i just get a database error. Contacted the webhost and they told me my version of vbul is not compatible with php 6.6. I've put things back to 6.5 at the host end and am waiting to see if that has any effect.
    Is there anything i can do to bring my vbulletin up to date? I've been going round in circles all morning trying to find some info or an update but nothing, all i can see are horror stories that have happened to people when attempting updates and a lot of folks unhappy with the tech support.
    To a novice like myself this makes the prospect of making big changes all the more daunting.
    Can anyone direct me to a page where i can download necessary updates/security fixes?
    Any help at all would be welcome at the minute, thanks in advance

• donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

You need to upgrade your forum to 3.8.9 beta to run PHP 5.5, don't think PHP 5.6 is supported but may work on vb 3.9 Beta or downgrade to PHP5.4 for your current version. PHP 6.5 or 6 is a mistake.

First you need to figure what's causing the database error, you should get an email with the full error description if you have an email contact in config.php.

Comment

• big_bob
      • Mar 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thanks for the reply. I've had a go at updating vbulletin but it appears not to have worked. At the stage where i'm told to point the browser to *********/install/upgrade.php i get a database error that looks very much like thos i've been getting when i try to open the forum

mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead
      /customers/5/2/b/*************/httpd.www/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 311

this means nothing to me i'm afraid
      Last edited by big_bob; Tue 24 Feb '15, 3:04am.

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

You need to add an "i" to the end of mysql in config.php so it looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 17.27.59.png
Views:	16
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	4312456

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

There is no such thing as php 6.6 or 6.5.

Upgrade your vB3 to 3.8.9 Beta, that will run on php 5.5 or 5.6 (which are the current latest versions of php)
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• big_bob
            • Mar 2009
            • 3.8.x

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. Donald I made the change to mysqli, thanks for the tip

Paul, yes i made a mistake there typing 6.*

Forum is working again. I made all the changes at once, including updating to the latest version of vbulletin. Not very scientific changing everything at once i know, but something worked..

Is 3.8.9 beta the latest I can upgrade to without payment? Previously looked into upgrading to v4 but I can't find where that is or how much it costs, you've since moved on to v5 i see.

Thanks again

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Currently customers on vBulletin 3 can purchase a vB4 license upgrade for 150 USD.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...