X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redoxforum
    • Nov 2013
    • 4.2.X

Smilies not showing in admin panel or forum

I recently upgraded from 3.6.4 to 3.8.8 - upgrade done by the vb team.

3 smiles are not showing but the gifs are absolutely in the correct folder and have the proper name. The whole site was migrated and everything was perfectly moved.

I went into ftp into images/smilies and I see the three smilie gifs in there, downloaded them to my desktop and they're definitely there. I open them in firefox and they're animated and work fine.

In the smilie admin panel, it only posts the URL for the smilies but not the actual images and in the forum message editor, it only shows :rofl:, etc... for all 3 "missing" smilies.

Any ideas on why this is happening? This is for http://energeticforum.com

Screenshots attached. The files one shows the files are there, cheers.gif is in there too just not showing in the same screenshot.
    Attached Files
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The path used should be relative to your domain i.e. /images/smilies/mysmilies/biggrin.gif. They should not contain the http://www.domain.com/forumpath segment. vBulletin will add that in automatically.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• redoxforum
      • Nov 2013
      • 4.2.X

I put in /images/********** and it didn't work. I tried with and without the leading / and neither worked.

Still does the same thing. I clicked edit on the working smilies and it shows the entire url.

Something else might be the problem.

This works fine: http://www.energeticforum.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif if you go there you can see the image.

But if you go to one of the three problem ones - it says Page not found: http://www.energeticforum.com/images/smilies/rofl.gif

In the smiliefile.jpg screenshot, you can see in ftp that that is the correct name and it is really there. I downloaded those 3 gifs from there and they work fine on my computer.

This only happened after the VB installation team upgraded 3.6.4 to 3.8.8 - I don't understand why it says Page not found for those 3 images. Permissions are 0644 I believe for every single smilie including those.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The page not found error is from your server. Not vBulletin. The image seems to be simply missing. You should verify the files are there via FTP. If they are then check with your host.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• redoxforum
          • Nov 2013
          • 4.2.X

When the VB Team upgraded my forum from 3.6.4 to 3.8.8 for me, it looks like they used some protocol as the user "nobody" and this is what caused the issues. For the smilies, the server needed some symlinks apache update to make them work. Now, I have no way of knowing if a lot of other files are going to be problematic because of this.

This is what my host said: "I see that you are using suphp which should not have allowed these files to be uploaded as the user nobody. What client were you using to import these files?
          However if they do upload more or migrate more, if where they sent them from are setup as user nobody nobody those will have to be changed so those additional files work properly on this server." Can you give me details on what vb is using to upload files and why they're using a "nobody" name that causes this problem?

Comment