X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chase
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Error messages on index.php

I am running vB 3.8.7 PL3... my server just upgraded PHP to 5.3.19... running MySQL 5.0.96-community

First I contacted my server because I first couldn't even get index.php to open (I would get this message)

This webpage is not available

The webpage at http://www.myurl.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.
    Once the server techs said they "fixed this" I started getting these errors at the top of my index.php page (I am using vbadvanced so forums.php is my forum home page).

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 55

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 107

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 111

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 119

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 130

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 134

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 142

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 211

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/init.php on line 389

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/eagl1/public_html/myaccount/includes/class_core.php on line 2552
    What do I need to do to fix this?

• Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Need to either downgrade PHP to 5.2 or make sure you turn off the displaying of errors on your server
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Chase
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.6.x

Are those really my only options? I'll have to talk to my server but I really doubt they will downgrade there php just for me.

How would I turn off errors on my site? I feel iffy on doing that... Would it also disable showing vb errors (like DB errors).

And why is this php version causing trouble for me and this version of vbulletin. Shouldn't you guys make it compatible?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Actually, you shouldn't be getting those messages at all with 3.8.7 as it is compatible with PHP5.3. To troubleshoot this, first download a fresh copy of the vBulletin ZIP file from the Members Area then reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

As you use vBSEO, you will also need to disable this via it's own Control Panel and rename any relevant .htaccess files to ensure they're not being called.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
        Vote for:

Comment

• Chase
          • Apr 2002
          • 3.6.x

Thanks for the reply. I will try this later today. I just wanted to note that these messages just don't show on index.php. I also see them sometimes in the admincp and when I click the thanks button (from the thanks plugin).

The forum seems to be working fine except for my members seeing these annoying error messages.

Comment

• snakes1100
            • Aug 2001

Its most likely coming fro ma hack you have installed.

Add this to .htaccess in your ftp, then save it.

php_flag display_errors off
            Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Chase
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.6.x

I am going to overwrite the vb files like what was mentioned about...

Should I upload a fresh version of config.php? I think the one I have is from the 3.7.x series.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Yes, I'd create a new one from the included config.php.new
                Vote for:

Comment

• Chase
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                  Yes, I'd create a new one from the included config.php.new
                  Ok so I want to make sure I do this right and don't F anything else up.

Can you be precise on what needs to be changed in the new config?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

If you open the new one alongside the old one, you can then copy over the information into the relevant fields - pretty well most of it won't have changed but there may be an additional option or two in there (can't remember the last time it changed).
                    Vote for:

Comment

• Chase
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.6.x

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]
                      I just ran the Suspect File Version and I see a bunch of "File not recognized by vbulletin" but I would expect that as these files are either part of my site or they are part of plug-ins I've added.

Just because you mentioned it, I will post this... not sure what to do here but in the includes/xml directory is does list a bunch of files not recognized by vbulletin but they are either apart of vbseo or other plug-ings I have.

In /install directory it lists.... upgrade_372 and 373 as not recognized

And some other stuff from vbseo that lists "does not list expected contents."

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

If suspect file versions lists files and you know what they relate to and are happy that they should be there, then they aren't actually suspect and so no need to worry about them.

Can you now go through the remainder of Trevor's post please, and post back the results?

Next, disable all plugins.Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

As you use vBSEO, you will also need to disable this via it's own Control Panel and rename any relevant .htaccess files to ensure they're not being called.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Chase
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Thanks for the reply and please please please stay here with me here as I have to/want to get this done ASAP.

I disabled all hooks via the config file just fine and also disabled seo via its control panel.

I don't know what to do about this though...

rename any relevant .htaccess files to ensure they're not being called.

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Chase
                            Thanks for the reply and please please please stay here with me here as I have to/want to get this done ASAP.

I disabled all hooks via the config file just fine and also disabled seo via its control panel.

I don't know what to do about this though...
                            vBSEO uses .htaccess files to accomplish some of its work.
                            You'll need to take backups of these and then delete the ones on the server, since when you disable vBSEO, having their .htaccess in plave can cause unexpected behaviour.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Chase
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 3.6.x

Sorry I just don't know enough about htaccess and all of that...

How many are there... where in ftp would I find it (is there 1 specific just for seo)... does my server/site/forum depend on an htaccess file inorder to work properly?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...