X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chase
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Database back up question

For 5 years now I have always backed up my database via the admin CP (I realize that may have not be the smartest way to do it but I have done it anyways). However, on my last backup I noticed it took way longer to download the database (may be due to my internet connection) and when I opened up the SQL file in Notepad (which I ALWAYS do after every backup to make sure it says "Database dump completed" at the end) it didn't say that and the last line was normal code from database.

So I looked around and stumbled upon the error logs in my server control panel and it showed this:

[Mon Nov 12 13:25:42 2012] [error] [client IP ADDRESS] Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 126617601 bytes) in /home/serveraccount/public_html/myaccount/includes/adminfunctions_backup.php on line 81, referer: http://www.myurl.com/admincp/backup.php?do=choose
    Was this a case of my internet connection being too slow and it just timed out? It seemed like it would download 2 MB every 5-10 seconds or so. Note I have never had a problem like this before.

I do know about backing up via SSH and will start doing so... I am just curious as to why I suddenly can't backup via the admin CP.

FYI my database is showing roughly 166 MB in size when done via the admin CP and a newer backup at 135 MB when does via SSH.

That brings another question: If you backup via the admincp is the db backup size normally larger than when done via SSH? I don't know why the size would be smaller (back up today) than ~3 weeks ago. I haven't pruned any threads or data.

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

That is an issue with your server, not your own internet connection. Doing a backup via PHP was not always reliable (which you are seeing) and that is why we no longer have the option in the admincp and recommend doing the backup via command line.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...