X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbrashear68
    • Nov 2007
    • 3.6.x

Upgrade from 3.6.8 to 3.8.7 - Plugins and custom profiles

Will I need to uninstall the plugins and revert our custom profiles before doing an upgrade? Or can I proceed using the default instructions?

Many thanks! Any other tips welcomed!!! I have backed up the forum both online and local to my PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the plugins installed.

• Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

You may use the default upgrade instructions, however, you will need to test all your plugins and make sure they are compatible with the new version and the same with your style. That is why it is highly recommended to test any upgrade on your test site first so you can see what works and what doesn't work so you can find a fix before applying the upgrade to your live site.

edit: You posted while i was replying. You should go check out every one of your modifications and see if there is a newer version for 3.8 or if the current version is compatible with 3.8.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rbrashear68
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

Ok, thank you for the response. The custom profiles is no longer supported and that is my biggest concern. I will attempt to disable, then check the forum. And maybe proceed and uninstall it and again check. All of this BEFORE the upgrade attempt. I really don't know how to do a test site...BTW.

Comment

• wave-rice
        • Feb 2011
        • 5.5.x

This blog post will help you create a test site: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...ng-A-Test-Site
        Aakif Nazir

Comment

• rbrashear68
          • Nov 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Aakif Nazir
          This blog post will help you create a test site: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...ng-A-Test-Site
          Thank you! Checking it out now!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...I have no idea really what to change the URL to. Can you give me an idea on what to use? I realize any change is all I need to keep from tampering with the original, but just trying to be careful here! Thanks again!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	site_url_update.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	3690087

Can I just put forum2.illpumpyouup.com?
          Last edited by rbrashear68; Sat 1 Sep '12, 11:21am.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

You need to create a new directory for where you are going to put your test site. Then you would enter the URL to that to directory.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rbrashear68
              • Nov 2007
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Lynne
              You need to create a new directory for where you are going to put your test site. Then you would enter the URL to that to directory.
              Ok, that makes sense! But how does everything point at the right database? This will all eventually click with me, but I'm missing some important pieces to completely make sense just yet. LOL! Thanks for all the help!

- - - Updated - - -

disregard that...rereading the instructions...it's clicking now.

Comment