X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • levron
    • Jun 2011
    • 3.8.x

Extending the header

Hey, on my forums I am wondering how to change the size of the header so I can allow a bigger banner without it messing up

As you can see from the picture I need the place where the banner is to be longer so it doesn't screw up, look in the bottom right corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

• eJM
    • Sep 2004
    • 3.8.x

The width of your forums is set to 960px, but the header image is only 953px. Whoever created the image should be responsible for making it 960. Or maybe you can just narrow the width of the forum by 7px - I wouldn't do that though.

Or, you can use one of these. I edited your image with Adobe Fireworks. The JPG image is not quite as sharp, but probably not noticeable enough to be distracting. It's benefit is that its file size is half the original. The PNG image is pretty much identical to your original in every way except it's wider. Both images are 960px wide. The PNG was stretched, whereas the JPG image has 7px of the background added to it (3px on one end, 4px on the other). But as I said before, your image creator should be held responsible for providing you with the right size images for your style - and they should be optimized to reduce file size (load time), while maintaining clarity.

If you like either of these enough to use, I'd really appreciate you following the suggestion in my signature - think of it as payment for services rendered.

Jim
    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
    www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• levron
      • Jun 2011
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by eJM
      The width of your forums is set to 960px, but the header image is only 953px. Whoever created the image should be responsible for making it 960. Or maybe you can just narrow the width of the forum by 7px - I wouldn't do that though.

Or, you can use one of these. I edited your image with Adobe Fireworks. The JPG image is not quite as sharp, but probably not noticeable enough to be distracting. It's benefit is that its file size is half the original. The PNG image is pretty much identical to your original in every way except it's wider. Both images are 960px wide. The PNG was stretched, whereas the JPG image has 7px of the background added to it (3px on one end, 4px on the other). But as I said before, your image creator should be held responsible for providing you with the right size images for your style - and they should be optimized to reduce file size (load time), while maintaining clarity.

If you like either of these enough to use, I'd really appreciate you following the suggestion in my signature - think of it as payment for services rendered.

Jim
      Iam getting a new banner which is why I am asking this.

So what would I have to do for it to be able to stretch? Is it because the width of the forum is shortened?

Comment

• eJM
        • Sep 2004
        • 3.8.x

If your new banner is going to occupy the same space, you have to use a banner that is sized to 960x96px. You can use a different height, but if you want the width to be the same as your forum width, then it has to be 960px wide.
        If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• levron
          • Jun 2011
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by eJM
          If your new banner is going to occupy the same space, you have to use a banner that is sized to 960x96px. You can use a different height, but if you want the width to be the same as your forum width, then it has to be 960px wide.
          Oh alright, so the height can be any size?

Comment

• eJM
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.8.x

Yes, but the larger the image, the further down the page your content. Larger images also usually mean larger file size and slower page loading. People are lazy and do not want to scroll or wait for a page to load. If you don't grab their attention with quality content within the first few seconds they arrive on your page, say goodbye.

Jim
            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• levron
              • Jun 2011
              • 3.8.x

Yes, thankyou.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...