• Show
Clear All
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

vBulletin 3.8.9

PHP 5.5 Support for vBulletin 3

vBulletin 3.8.9 Beta 1 has been released, and is available for download, it is available to sites with current (active) vBulletin licenses.

vBulletin 3.8.9 Beta 1 has received no official QA testing, however, we are confident that there will not be any major issues - the majority of changes are taken directly from the equivelent vB4 changes. It is recommended that you test 3.8.9 on a test php 5.5 system before considering using it for production, no official QA testing is expected at this time. It will remain labelled as a beta until we are confident of its stability.

If you encounter any bugs related to PHP 5.5 in vBulletin 3.8.9 Beta 1, please log them in the vB3 Jira Project.

Note: Only bugs related to PHP 5.5 compatibility will be reviewed, since vBulletin 3 has been end-of-life for several years.

vB3 Blogs & vB3 Mapi

If you have the vB3 Mapi add-on, there is also a Mapi 1.4.6 Beta 1 available.

If you have the vB3 blogs add-on, there is also a Blogs 2.0.6 Beta 1 available.

Note: Please log any Blogs or Mapi bugs in the vB3 Jira project, not the separate Blogs/Mapi projects.
    Baby, I was born this way
  • s_cocis
    • Jan 2012
    • 4.2.X

Hi, for you info,

I have vbulletin 3.8.9 Beta 4 with PHP 5.5.

but vbulletin work without Addon. if I enable addon i receive the white page with only error message in browser "errore"

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

The add on is probably incompatible with php 5.5.
      You should contact the add on author for support.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• s_cocis
        • Jan 2012
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
        The add on is probably incompatible with php 5.5.
        You should contact the add on author for support.

I have disabled ALL plugin from admin console ( section plugin ), but the error persist.
        the only way to see the vbulletin "base" is enter the instruction "define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);" in config.php

Comment

• s_cocis
          • Jan 2012
          • 4.2.X

Yes, probably is the CMPS not compatible with PHP 5.5

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by s_cocis

I have disabled ALL plugin from admin console ( section plugin ), but the error persist.
            the only way to see the vbulletin "base" is enter the instruction "define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);" in config.php
            If that cures the problem, then an add on is causing the issue.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• ChiNa
              • Jul 2012
              • 3.8.x

Thanks for Share Paul. Its really awesome to see that there are still being made new Developments or vB3.8.x Forum Owners. Keep up the great job.
              Last edited by ChiNa; Fri 4 Sep '15, 2:31pm.
              Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
              I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!

Comment

• Paul M
                Former Lead Developer
                vB.Com & vB.Org
                • Sep 2004

The final release of 3.8.9 is now available.

There are also corresponding updated versions of vB3 Blog (2.0.6) and vB3 Mapi (1.4.6).

Comment

• ChiNa
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 3.8.x

Paul M I was wondering if forum owners that still use PHP 5.4 or 5.3 can use vB3.8.9 as well? Or is it only Compatible with PHP 5.5+? In case its compatible with lower PHP Versions like 5.3 and 5.4 too, then what are the chances for some Addons or Products we use might fail if we Upgrade to vB3.8.9?

Our forum is a Bit Large and thats one of the reasons I havnt Upgraded yet. I need to clear it up befor upgrading. Thanks in Advance.
                  Last edited by ChiNa; Fri 4 Sep '15, 2:39pm.
                  Check some of my work on vBulletin.org by CLICKING HERE!
                  I dedicate my work and passion to those who have helped me and made me become the person I am today! From Coders, Designers to amazing Websites and Forums who always been there for me! Forever Greatfull!

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

It shoud work with php 5.4 ok (I hope so, I'm running 3.8.9 on php 5.4 !).

I'm not sure everything would be ok in php 5.3.

Comment

• XenonKilla
                      • May 2011
                      • 3.8.x

I can confirm that vB 3.8.9 does work with PHP v5.6.13 & MySQL v5.6.26. I did some local testing for over a week before rolling this out on a production server which has been up and running for just under a week now. Server specs are...

Windows 2012 R2 x64
                      vB 3.8.9
                      PHP 5.6.13
                      MySQL 5.6.26 x64
                      XCache 3.2.0 (Tested and worked fine but I ended up using the Zend OPCache that is now included in PHP >5.5)

I had a few PHP DEPRECATED & STRICT errors popping up in my log file from plugins that were using (by today's standards) outdated code. This wasn't a big deal since everything was still working fine, however, I went ahead made some minor code changes on those plugins causing issues to avoid any issues in the future.

One other thing that was causing me some issues (and my main purpose for posting here) was the reCAPTCHA verification. I kept getting the error below anytime a page was submitted for verification, i.e. registration, updating email, contact form etc.

Code:
                      Image verification could not be verified due to server issues. Please try again later.

I absolutely COULD NOT find a solution posted ANYWHERE on the internet. I seen there was an issue with reCAPTCHA back with an older 3.7.x version of vB but this had nothing to do with this particular issue.

The issue ended up being code changes in \includes\class_vurl.php where it looks like vB removed support for fsockopen leaving cURL as the only option. I ended up resolving the issue by enabling the cURL extension in my PHP configuration php.ini -> extension=php_curl.dll

This probably isn't an issue if you're running on a NIX based server, however, if you're running on a Windows Server then you'll probably run across this issue as well.

Hopefully this will save someone a bit of time and aggravation

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

If you read the notes on the vbulletin download screen, you will see this

Notes
                        vBulletin 3.6.0 - 3.8.6 requires PHP 4.3.3 or greater, and MySQL 4.0.16 or greater.
                        vBulletin 3.8.7 - 3.8.8 requires PHP 5.2.0 or greater, and MySQL 4.0.16 or greater.
                        vBulletin 3.8.9 requires PHP 5.3.0 or greater, and MySQL 4.1.0 or greater, and cURL to be installed.

Comment

• XenonKilla
                          • May 2011
                          • 3.8.x

Yeah there it is lol. I didn't even bother to read all that since it seemed quite obvious what needed to be installed to run vB 3.8.9, but I guess not *smacks self*

Comment

• desmomax
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 6.X

Hy,
                            i was trying to update my vbulletin to latest version 3.8.9 (before i had 3.8.8) my php is greater then 5.3 but at the end of the last processs (updating help)
                            i receive this error : Step 2) Import latest admin help
                            Importing vbulletin-adminhelp.xml
                            Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /siti/ilbraccoitaliano.net/forum/includes/adminfunctions_language.php on line 966

can someone help me?

thanks
                            www.ilbraccoitaliano.net

Comment

• mjames
                              • Nov 2000
                              • 3.8.x

How can I upgrade to 3.8.9 if I am running 3.8.8 PL1? My license has expired. Please don't tell me I have to pay hundreds of dollars to do a minor upgrade like this.
                              Marc James
                              Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                              Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...