Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • testerv
    • Dec 2011

quoting and database size

When a user quotes another post in their post, does it increase the size of the database or amount of server disk space needed?

I'm wondering if my disk storage size would be less if there was less quoting on my vb forum.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Well, the system does store that post text in the post table. So yes, slightly. I doubt your disk usage for mysql would drop drasticly if users didnt quote people. It'd also be pretty hard to stop users from quoting people manually or otherwise.

Comment

• testerv
      • Dec 2011

Are there any methods to determine what parts of my forum are taking up the most disk space? My site is very small, only a few posts per day but I am using about 925MB of storage space.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Look at the tables in your database, do not delete anything, just look. Do you have a tool like phpmyadmin. How do you know you're using 925mb of mysql storagE?

Comment

• testerv
          • Dec 2011

I didn't mean to say that the 925 MB is from the database. I just meant that my small vbulletin site uses 925MB. I don't know what is taking up the most space.
          The reason I know it is 925MB is because cPanel, for the site, says that I'm over my allotted storage space (800MB) and that I'm using 925MB.

Comment

• testerv
            • Dec 2011

I just noticed that I have 200MB in the "tmp" that is in my home directory. Do you think I can delete all of that?

Comment

• PossumX
              • Oct 2006
              • 4.1.x

Check attachments, hey often take up alot of space, either in dB or file store, depending on how you have it configured.

Comment

• testerv
                • Dec 2011

63MB in attachments

Comment

• PossumX
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 4.1.x

Not very big at all, was just throwing it out there, as mine is 3+ GB

Comment

• testerv
                    • Dec 2011

Can the files and folders in my "tmp" folder be deleted without causing problems with my forums? It has about 200MB in it. Thanks.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by testerv
                      I didn't mean to say that the 925 MB is from the database. I just meant that my small vbulletin site uses 925MB. I don't know what is taking up the most space.
                      The reason I know it is 925MB is because cPanel, for the site, says that I'm over my allotted storage space (800MB) and that I'm using 925MB.
                      Attachments are most likely taking up the most space if you allow them. Depending on the size of attachments you're using 1 attached image can take up more space than 10,000 posts, qoutes or not.

Can the files and folders in my "tmp" folder be deleted without causing problems with my forums? It has about 200MB in it. Thanks.
                      They could be active files like temporary files for your database. I wouldn't delete them myself. The system should deleted them when they are no longer needed.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• testerv
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Attachments are most likely taking up the most space if you allow them. Depending on the size of attachments you're using 1 attached image can take up more space than 10,000 posts, qoutes or not.
                        My vbulletin Admin Control Panel shows 66MB for attachments, Data Usage: 172MB, Index Usage 80MB, Avatar usage: 575 KB, Profile Picture Usage: 373KB. The tmp folder has 200MB in it. That totals about 520MB. Any idea what the remaining 430MB is being used?

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        They could be active files like temporary files for your database. I wouldn't delete them myself. The system should deleted them when they are no longer needed.
                        There is a folder called AWSTATS in the "tmp" folder. I should be able to delete those files, right?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

My vbulletin Admin Control Panel shows 66MB for attachments, Data Usage: 172MB, Index Usage 80MB, Avatar usage: 575 KB, Profile Picture Usage: 373KB. The tmp folder has 200MB in it. That totals about 520MB. Any idea what the remaining 430MB is being used?
                          Probably server log files.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• testerv
                            • Dec 2011

Where are server log files typically stored?

I should be able to delete those without causing problems with the forum,right?

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

These are really questions for your webhost. your webhost should also be able to tell you which directories/files are taking the most space.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...