Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeychgo
    • Mar 2004

link to the last poster on forumhome and forum display

How do I remove the link to the last poster on forumhome and forum display? Preferably for guests -
    Building my Automotive Forum Network...
    Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

This is not a default option in VB.

You would need to edit the appropriate templates, and if you want to remove it only for guests, use template conditionals to show code only to members.

Changes to the product like this though are not supported here, please try vBulletin.org for customization like this.

Comment

• joeychgo
      • Mar 2004

No need to go to vB.org - someone here can tell me the particular template / line of code to alter. You could have told me in the amount of time it took you to brush me off.
      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

If I knew the template off-hand I would have told you but I don't.

Someone else here may be able to help you, we'll see. I gave you what would likely be the quickest way to get your answer.

My job here is to support the core features of vBulletin, it is sometimes a blurry line when a customer asks for something- whether it is considered using a feature of the software or customization- so I try to err on the side of being more helpful but when the line is crossed I refer them to vBulletin.org for further help on the issue.

Your question was clearly a modification of the software requiring both a template edit and use of template conditionals. That is EXACTLY the type of thing people talk about on vbulletin.org all the time. You might find an answer to your question simply by typing this into google:

remove last post link site:vbulletin.org

Comment

• joeychgo
          • Mar 2004

Yeah - there are no answers over there that work for 3.8...

I know how to use a conditional - I jsut cant find the controlling code.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

In general to find a template, do this - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around that part of the code.

Doing this on forumhome you will see the template in question is: forumhome_lastpostby

In there I found the code:
            Code:
            <phrase 1="member.php?$session[sessionurl]find=lastposter&amp;f=$lastpostinfo[forumid]" 2="$lastpostinfo[lastposter]">$vbphrase[by_x]</phrase>
            If you put a <if condition="$show[member]"> </if> around it, it should show only to members.

Doing the same thing on forumdisplay I see the template name is: threadbit

In that template I see similar code:
            Code:
            <phrase 1="member.php?$session[sessionurl]find=lastposter&amp;t=$thread[threadid]" 2="$thread[lastposter]">$vbphrase[by_x]</phrase>
            Again the same condition should provide the same results.

I warn you again though that this type of customization is not officially supported and if you do have questions please make them on vBulletin.org- that is the official modification site, questions like this are the reason it exists.

Comment

• joeychgo
              • Mar 2004

Touble is - I dont really want to eliminate the name - just the link

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

I gotcha...

OK well then look in your phrase manager, look at the GLOBAL phrase: by_x

That is where the actual "Link" is- it's

Code:
                by <a href="{1}">{2}</a>
                If you change it to just:
                Code:
                by {2}
                it will remove the link... for everyone.

To remove it for just guests you will need to go a step further-

Make a NEW phrase instead, call it: by_x_guest

Make it the code above (without the link)

Then back in those templates, instead of an <if> </if> condition use <if condition="$show[member]"> -original code - <else /> - modified code </if> statement...

-original code- = the current phrase code

-modified code- =
                Code:
                <phrase 1="member.php?$session[sessionurl]find=lastposter&amp;t=$thread[threadid]" 2="$thread[lastposter]">$vbphrase[[COLOR="#FF0000"]by_x_guest[/COLOR]]</phrase>

Comment

• joeychgo
                  • Mar 2004

Thank you...

Comment

• ukindian
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Thats great info...
                    http://www.weindians.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...