Login and page refresh problems - (cookies?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gpzzone
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Login and page refresh problems - (cookies?)

Hi

V 3.8.4 . PL2 Very stable for well over a year.

Host it have made some recent server mods, changes, etc and since then members have reported that the site has returned them to the login page immediately after logging in, and that pages, and posts are not refreshing automatically.

There have been no changes to the VB config in over a year. But, I now notice that the server has "Safe Mode" restrictions enabled, whilst my config is set to NO wrt server safe mode.

I am almost certain that the server never used to have safe mode enabled, which would explain me previosuly setting it to No, but my question is.........given that it does now, and given that my config is set to NO, will this create the difficulties with regard to logins and page refreshes?

Thanks in advance.

Craig Davies

PS apparently the Host it server changes were .....- the operating system was upgraded from Debian Etch to Debian Lenny, and the Plesk version was upgraded to a more recent one.......

Is anyone aware of any known incompatibility with these Server OS upgrades and VB 3.8.4 PL2 ?
    Last edited by gpzzone; Sun 2 Oct '11, 6:42am.
    "Live in England and subject yourself to the punishing taxes of envy. It's hard to be a winner in a society dedicated to the glorification of losers."
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Safe Mode should have nothing to do with this issue. If you allow users to login to your site via both http://www.yoursite.com and just yoursite.com., then you MUST have your cookie domain (vboptions > cookies > cookie domain) set to ".yoursite.com" (no quotes, but note the period at the beginning) or your users will have problems. Also, make sure to tell your users to click the Remember Me button when they login.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• gpzzone
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Thank you Lynne.

I am seriously unchuffed with this situation, life is busy enough without having to deal with the consequences of server upgrades. This site was rock solid stable until the upgrade.

The cookie domain has never been changed and as I said the site has been rock solid.

Basically after logging in the page does not change and it gives the impression that you are not logged in, and you remain at the login page. Clicking refresh at this point takes you to the forum pages. Navigating the forum correctly is only possible by regularly manually refreshing.

Does anyone have any ideas?
      "Live in England and subject yourself to the punishing taxes of envy. It's hard to be a winner in a society dedicated to the glorification of losers."

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Any .htacess file or changes to your php config files?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• gpzzone
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

No, htaccess files have ever been introduced into the mix, nor has anything else, everything is absolutely standard. I tend to keep it this way to help troubleshooting at times like this !!

Could the server upgrades have chnaged the cookie domain read/write permissions?

Comment

• gpzzone
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Have now explored most of the suspected culprits as identified in previous posts, and no success, interestingly a check of the suspect files suggests that the datastore cache is not recognized by VB?

Click image for larger version

Name:	suspect.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	3685538

Anyone any ideas ? It does seem that this issue has cropped up in the forums before but I can't find any threads with a positive outcome.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

Are you storing the datastore via that file?
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• gpzzone
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

Hi Trevor - I'm storing it wherever VB stores it!!

I'm not clever enough to change anything. Everything in this site is absolutely standard 3.8.4 PL2, apart from an additional link in the top navigation bar.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

I've requested additional info in your ticket Craig.
                  Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Riasat
                    • Aug 2006

I have faced this issue before. It happens when vB cant update datastore cache properly. Check permissions on that file.

Comment

• gpzzone
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

datastore directory is drwxr-xr-x-
                      datastore_cache is -rw-r-r-

Is that good or bad ??

I have now re-uploaded and upgraded to 3.8.7 and the problem remains.

The server settings being reported by VB are as attached image - can anyone see any problems?

Click image for larger version

Name:	server.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	3685569

It looks like VB, Host it and I have all run out of ideas......... consequently any contributions are gratefully received.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

datastore_cache.php must be 777 if you are using it.

Comment

• gpzzone
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Does VB use it by default?

This is an absolutely standard - straight out of the zip file site 3.8.7

Absolutely nothing has been changed....

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Did you change any of the expire headers or cacheing settings?

Comment

• gpzzone
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Did you change any of the expire headers or cacheing settings?
                              Nope - absolutely nothing has been been altered.

For info Trevor has been helping with this for the past 3 days. He has full access to the site, ftp etc.

Host-it are also involved heavily, and both tech supports have been excellent, sadly, we're unable to nail it.

Comment