X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valdet
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.6.x

Hello,

I received the notice about vB 3.8.8 upgrade being available to download.

I have PHP 5.3.21 and MySQL 5.0.96.

Is there any problem or limitation with similar environment ?

Thanks

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

It should run fine on those.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• EricGT
        • Apr 2002

We upgraded the site last night from the last version of 3.8.7 to v 3.8.8. Since then, the site has been absolutely crawling. We are getting delays of 45 seconds or more per page load. We are running the newest stable version of Apache, PHP and MySQL. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

When you say "newest version of php" - bear in mind 3.8.8 is not compatible with php 5.5. You need to be running php 5.4.
          Other than that, no changes were made that would cause that sort of delay - do you have any add ons?
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• EricGT
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Mark.B
            When you say "newest version of php" - bear in mind 3.8.8 is not compatible with php 5.5. You need to be running php 5.4.
            Other than that, no changes were made that would cause that sort of delay - do you have any add ons?
            Version 5.4.29 is the latest stable version available in my WHM control panel and it is what I upgraded to. I only upgraded Apache, PHP and MySQL after I upgraded vB to 3.8.8. I did it hoping that it would correct the severe page delays we are suffering since the vB upgrade. Updating Apache, PHP and MySQL had no effect on the page delays though.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by EricGT
              We upgraded the site last night from the last version of 3.8.7 to v 3.8.8. Since then, the site has been absolutely crawling. We are getting delays of 45 seconds or more per page load. We are running the newest stable version of Apache, PHP and MySQL. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?
              Nothing I can possibly think of in 3.8.8 would have such a drastic effect.
              It runs just fine on my forum, and every other one Ive ever seen - you seem to have a local system issue of some kind.

Comment

• EricGT
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Paul M

Nothing I can possibly think of in 3.8.8 would have such a drastic effect.
                It runs just fine on my forum, and every other one Ive ever seen - you seem to have a local system issue of some kind.
                The site was working fine before the upgrade. The upgrade completed without any errors and the site functioned properly afterward, until I turned the board back on. As soon as a traffic load hit the active board, the site slowed to a crawl. The site didn't generate any errors. It just took forever for every page to load. Everything was fine once I reverted to the old version. This upgrade brought an otherwise healthy and very busy message board website to its knees.

Any ideas on tracking down the issue?

Comment

• Paul M
                  Former Lead Developer
                  vB.Com & vB.Org
                  • Sep 2004

Unless you were actually running it then it would not really be possible to track.
                  I just cannot see or even guess how anything would cause that to happen, so would need to see it failing "in action" so to speak.

Comment

• Frieda MSweb
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    I wonder... in what way is 3.8.8 not compatible with php 5.5? I'm gonna run into big problems if this is true.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Frieda MSweb

I wonder... in what way is 3.8.8 not compatible with php 5.5? I'm gonna run into big problems if this is true.
                      It's definitely not compatible - you will need to run php 5.4.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• benFF
                        • Jul 2004
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by EricGT

The site was working fine before the upgrade. The upgrade completed without any errors and the site functioned properly afterward, until I turned the board back on. As soon as a traffic load hit the active board, the site slowed to a crawl. The site didn't generate any errors. It just took forever for every page to load. Everything was fine once I reverted to the old version. This upgrade brought an otherwise healthy and very busy message board website to its knees.

Any ideas on tracking down the issue?

I have a similar issue. Does the 3.8.8 version change many of the SQL queries? Since the upgrade (and only since then) I'm now getting a load of "MYSQL Server has gone away" errors. Sure I can re-optimise the mySQL box for this - but these issues weren't there before..

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

As far as I know. No.

If the MySQL server is going away, then either the wait_timeout is too low, or you're getting back to much data so the max_packet_size is too small. If you need continued support, please open a ticket or topic in the correct forum.

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by benFF
                            Does the 3.8.8 version change many of the SQL queries?
                            As far as I recall, it doesnt change any.

Comment

• Daryn
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3.7.x

I am getting the version notice too, but since there are no major changes other than PHP 5.4 compatability and my license is considered inactive, I'm not upgrading. So, I'm wondering if there's a way to dismiss the notification so I don't have to keep seeing it?

Comment

• Mark.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                • Feb 2004
                                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Daryn
                                I am getting the version notice too, but since there are no major changes other than PHP 5.4 compatability and my license is considered inactive, I'm not upgrading. So, I'm wondering if there's a way to dismiss the notification so I don't have to keep seeing it?
                                No, there's no way to do this.

MARK.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                ------------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...