Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LanciaStratos
    • Jul 2001

'Banned' Usergroup Still Receiving Notification Messages

I'm trying to prevent my vB 3.8 installation from sending notification emails to users in the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" usergroup. I changed the "This Usergroup is not a 'Banned' Group" setting to "No" for the group, which, according to the setting's description, should prevent them from receiving such notifications:

(Setting this to no will cause the group to be treated as a banned group, this will prevent the sending of email notifications, show a banned error message on the permission error pages and other unspecified behaviors.)
    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all, as users in the 'Awaiting Email Confirmation' group are still receiving their notifications. Is this a bug? Have I misunderstood the feature? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Which 'notification' emails are they getting exactly? I've never heard of anyone making the User's Awaiting group a banned group before, nor would I ever recommend it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LanciaStratos
      • Jul 2001

They appear to be receiving all notification emails, including new private messages and new posts in subscribed threads. I didn't want to make them a banned group, but could find no other alternative to prevent them from being sent notification emails.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Why do you allow User's Awaiting to have PMs and post on the forums?

If these are members that have simply changed their email address and have not clicked on the activation link, then why would you want to punish them by making that a 'Banned' group?

Sorry but this all seems a bit backwards to me. I think you shuld rethink what you are trying to do and find an alternative method.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LanciaStratos
          • Jul 2001

This has nothing to do with 'punishment' and everything to do with finding a way to prevent my large forum from blasting thousands of emails, each day, to unreachable email addresses. As these notification messages bounce, I'm tracking down their accounts and de-activating them by placing them back into the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" group so I'm not labeled as a spammer by automated anti-spam services.

Unfortunately, vBulletin continues sending notifications to these users, nullifying my efforts.

I've been using vBulletin for about 9 years now and have spent the entire day researching this issue, but have ended up here. If you could suggest any alternative method, I would be very grateful to hear it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Unfortunately I cannot do anything about those emails. Please feel free report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• eJM
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.8.x

Steve, please try to remember to look at the forum you are in before giving advice. You seem to give a lot of advice related to vB4 when you are in this forum - it's a vB3.8 forum.

To the OP: You can set up permissions that prevent users in any particular usergroup from receiving PMs and various other features. If you are manually changing a member's usergroup, then it would be easier to create a special one like I did. It is called Bad Email and they can only do what unregistered users can. They do see an undismissible Notice I created, that their email address is broken and they must contact you via the contact admin (sendmessage.php). Let them know they have to provide a valid email before their privileges are restored.

Contrary to what Steve suggested, vB 3.8.x is no longer being developed and the only thing you can expect from it is maybe security patches. No more bug fixes and no new features. To get that, you must upgrade to vB 4.x.

Jim
              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by eJM
                Steve, please try to remember to look at the forum you are in before giving advice. You seem to give a lot of advice related to vB4 when you are in this forum - it's a vB3.8 forum.
                D'oh! Thanks.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment