X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jari37
    • May 2008
    • 3.6.x

Can no longer upload avatars

As the title says, I can no longer upload avatars. Until the last few months this was never a problem, so I don't know what has changed. I've checked the relevant folders and they are all set to 777, but whenever I or any of the members try and upload an avatar it says "Upload of file failed"

I've checked the customavatars folder, and avatars have been added up until the end of last month, but I know that people usually get the error message and have been getting it for a few months. Occasionally though an avatar will upload, which makes the issue even more baffling.

Anyone else had this problem?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Enable phpinfo in the Admin CP, then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Public phpinfo() Display Enabled
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jari37
      • May 2008
      • 3.6.x

Ok Steve, I have enabled phpinfo.

The url to my forum is www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/

I have just checked in my ftp client, and no custom avatars have been uploaded this month, but there had been some in the months leading up to this one (albeit people have been complaining about problems for several months). I am fairly certain that I have not done anything since last month that could have stopped them working.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

You have open_basedir restrictions on your server. To get uploads to work you need to create a 'tmp' subdirectory under your main hosting directory and chmod it to 777. Then in the Admin CP set "Upload In Safe Mode?" to 'Yes' and point the "Safe Mode Temp Directory" to that directory. If you placed the tmp directory in the right place, the path to the Safe Mode Temp Directory will be:

/home/tlw/tmp

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Safe Mode Temporary Directory

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Safe Mode Upload Enabled -> Yes

Also the php.ini setting for 'upload_tmp_dir' is empty. It's possible you (as root) or your host will need to edit php.ini and set 'upload_tmp_dir' to point to the full path to a directory on the server that is chmod'd to 1777. You will also need to restart Apache after making this change.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jari37
          • May 2008
          • 3.6.x

Cheers Steve, appreciate it.

Comment

• Jari37
            • May 2008
            • 3.6.x

Ok, I've done all that, but I now get a different error:

There was an error encountered with your upload:
            • Unable to move/copy file

Clearly something has changed as it no longer says it cannot upload, but instead says cannot move/copy

Comment

• Jari37
              • May 2008
              • 3.6.x

It's working now. The problem was that it would not let me change the 'safe mode temporary directory' to /home/tlw/tmp

Each time I pasted it in, it reset itself to what it was before. I typed it in manually and it worked.

Comment

• Jari37
                • May 2008
                • 3.6.x

The problem has returned. No idea why as I haven't changed anything, and I've checked all the above steps again and everything is still set to how it was. This problem has occurred in the last couple of days, where people can't upload avatars.

I have also noticed that I cannot upload images to my shop too. I assume the issue is related to the tmp folder, although the permissions are all correct and the path to it hasn't changed. Is there anything I can run to check this?

Comment

• Jari37
                  • May 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Still haven't been able to fix this.

Anyone?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

If the path is correct, is the temp folder CHMOD 0777?
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Jari37
                      • May 2008
                      • 3.6.x

Yes it is. What I do not understand is that as far as I can recall I have not changed anything that would have affected uploads, it just stopped working.

Comment

• Jari37
                        • May 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Bump.

Anyone?

Comment

• Jari37
                          • May 2008
                          • 3.6.x

This problem sorted itself out, I didn't do anything and it just started working again. Every now and then it flares up again and uploads won't work, and it's happening again right now.

My server died for some reason the other night, and after reboot I have been unable to upload anything other than using ftp. I put a support ticket in with my webhost, and they said 'the issue falls out of the scope of my contracted services' and offered to fix it for $200.

There must be a setting that needs changing somewhere, but I don't have a clue what I'm looking for and there's no way I'm paying the hosts a further $200 on top of the $300 a month I already pay.

Can anyone offer any advice here, I'm getting desperate.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

I would try forcing a new/different tmp directory, see if that helps.

Comment

• Jari37
                              • May 2008
                              • 3.6.x

I don't think it's related to that, as I have another test site running that uses a different tmp directory. Both sites were working fine until the server was rebooted.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...