Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludachris
    • Feb 2002

Not receiving emails from vbulletin

I just noticed I'm not receiving any emails from the vb system - to any of my email addresses, which are all part of the same domain as the site. I have all these accounts set up through gmail, and I'm able to send and receive emails through gmail just fine through the gmail interface using those accounts - I tested sending an email from the same webmaster email account via gmail to a yahoo account and there were no problems.

I tried sending an email to my user account through the send email to a member form, no dice. I tried sending mail to users via admincp and only chose my account, didn't work. None of my subscription emails are being delivered, as well as other notification emails. Both of the email addresses I am using (for my user account and the webmaster email address) is the same domain as the site. If I change the webmaster email to a yahoo account, it delivers fine when I send an email through the contact us form. So it seems there's an issue sending mail to my domain via the vb system.

What should I check?

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

vB uses the server for it's email. Assuming you have not disabled emails in the Admin CP or in config.php, then if there are problems the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ludachris
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      vB uses the server for it's email. Assuming you have not disabled emails in the Admin CP or in config.php, then if there are problems the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/troubleshoot_email
      Let me clarify, that no users are having troubles receiving emails from the system (subscribed threads, etc). And I've narrowed it down to only this email domain (the same domain of my vb installation). Other domains on the same server (my server, my domains) are working okay - meaning, I've changed my user account to an email address for another domain on the same server and I'm receiving emails just fine. So it doesn't seem as if the server is having problems, just the domain - vb cannot send emails to the domain in which it's hosted on. And only when emails are being sent via vbulletin on this domain to this email domain - emails are sent and received outside of vb on this domain just fine, the best of my knowledge.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Same answer though/

You need to check the server and vB email logs for the cause of this.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• phrogg
          • Jan 2012
          • 4.1.x

In case someone else hits this thread and has the same issue, let me offer the likely solution to this problem. When you point your MX record to another location for email to be received (say gmail like in the example above) and someone sends email to you they first look up your MX record and send to you. When you host your website on your domain but have email pointed elsewhere and send email through the local system, it will usually see that it has your email locally and just deliver it locally without looking up your MX record. What you need to do within Plesk or cPanel or whatever you use is to turn off email first. Then it won't try to deliver it locally and it will hit the MX record and go.

With Plesk you go into Mail for that domain and turn it off. With cPanel I just login and edit /etc/localdomains and remove the domain and add it into /etc/remotedomains but I'm sure that there is a place to do that in WHM.

Hope that helps someone.

Comment

• Ludachris
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by phrogg
            In case someone else hits this thread and has the same issue, let me offer the likely solution to this problem. When you point your MX record to another location for email to be received (say gmail like in the example above) and someone sends email to you they first look up your MX record and send to you. When you host your website on your domain but have email pointed elsewhere and send email through the local system, it will usually see that it has your email locally and just deliver it locally without looking up your MX record. What you need to do within Plesk or cPanel or whatever you use is to turn off email first. Then it won't try to deliver it locally and it will hit the MX record and go.

With Plesk you go into Mail for that domain and turn it off. With cPanel I just login and edit /etc/localdomains and remove the domain and add it into /etc/remotedomains but I'm sure that there is a place to do that in WHM.

Hope that helps someone.
            Great info, thanks a ton. I never did find the cause of this issue, and it's still hit and miss.

Comment