Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradleyj
    • Mar 2011

VB 3.8 Maintance

I was trying to understand this maintance thing that we have to purchase... Does that mean the 3.8 License is no good anymore because I bought the 4 Lic and 3 came with it .. Does that mean I have to switch again or pay for a license

or does that mean no more updates unless if we purchase them?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If you have bought a vb4 licence you do not need the vb3 maintenance pack.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• bradleyj
      • Mar 2011

Ok but i am using 3.8.7 .. So this has nothing to do with the VB3x version of vb its just for the maintence pack?

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

The maintenance pack is for people on earlier versions than 3.8.7, who do not wish to buy a vB4 license. The pack enables them to get 3.8.7 basically.

You don't need it because (a) you're already running 3.8.7 and (b) even if you weren't you've got a vb4 license which allows you to download 3.8.7 anyhow.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• bradleyj
          • Mar 2011

Thanks

Thank you for your explanation.

Comment

• Tourmeister
            • Sep 2005

So let me make sure I understand what all this is about.

I currently have an owned license of VB with 3.8.1 patch level 1 installed. I have downloaded but not yet installed 3.8.6 patch level 1. I now see that the most recent version available is 3.8.7 but I don't see where to download it. In the member section when I log in, I see this:

Inactive - Expired
            vBulletin 3.x Forum (Owned)

Expiry Date
            Aug 30th '10

Did 3.8.7 come out after Aug 30, 2010, and would that be why I don't see it as a download option?

Today I see this message in my Admin CP:

vBulletin 3.X maintenance pack - Discontinued.
            If you have an vBulletin 3.X license, the last day to extend your license will be 03/31/11
            To purchase this and get the latest releases before the offer expires:
            * Go to www.vbulletin.com/order/ and login at the top right
            * Click on Purchase
            * Choose the '3.x - 3 months Maintenance Pack' option in the 'Upgrade Existing' section. This is displayed next to all 3.x Owned licenses.
            What is the Maintenance Pack? Is this something I need to worry about?

I don't want to upgrade to VB 4, but since my VB 3 license is owned, I should be fine for the indefinite future right? I am not in any danger of my forum suddenly being deactivated at some future time am I?
            Last edited by Tourmeister; Thu 31 Mar '11, 2:43pm.
            Scott Friday
            Two Wheeled Texans

Comment

• Black Tiger
              • Mar 2001

What is the Maintenance Pack? Is this something I need to worry about?
              Version 3.8.7 did indeed come out after august 30 2010. The maintenance pack is what already was explained before, it's a 3 months ticket support with the ability to download the latest 3.8.x version (in this case 3.8.7) from the members section again.
              You can't do that now because your support license is expired.

It is getting confusing because in the members section it says that the license is expired, but it isn't because a lifetime license does not expire. It's only the maintenance pack license which is expired. Maintenance pack being a 3 months right to download newest 3.8.x versions and ticket support.

I am not in any danger of my forum suddenly being deactivated at some future time am I?
              No you're not, but your to late now anyway, because it's already april 1st.
              I would have spent the 30 dollar just to upgrade to the newest version, just to be sure I had the latest fixes etc. There won't be any new ones. Except for security fixes maybe.

So the future is relative. How long is vb 3.8.x going to work? Can it work at php 6?
              Is it even going to work on php 5.3.x? Because that gave loads of errors already when I tried. The reasonably early (and very short time notice) of end of life declaring of vb38 and the pricing of the new licensing system is exactly the reason that I will stop at 3.8.7 and if things won't work anymore, will leave vbulletin and change to something else.
              Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...