• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    And what bugs make vB4 unusable for you?
    It's gone all quiet again Trevor...
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Blueracer66
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.8.x

I really which I could get Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect on my forum (vBulletin 3.8.6 Patch Level 1).

Where do I download vBulletin 3.8.7? I looked in the member's area but I didn't see it in the downloads page.
      Last edited by Blueracer66; Sun 20 Feb '11, 4:02am.
      AllConsoleGamers (beta)

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Blueracer66
        I really which I could get Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect on my forum (vBulletin 3.8.6 Patch Level 1).

Where do I download vBulletin 3.8.7? I looked in the member's area but I didn't see it in the downloads page.
        You won't get Facebook Connect with 3.8.7.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Blueracer66
          • Nov 2007
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          You won't get Facebook Connect with 3.8.7.
          I know that. Do you know where do I download vBulletin 3.8.7? I looked in the Members' area but I didn't see it in the downloads page.
          AllConsoleGamers (beta)

Comment

• eJM
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.8.x

It should be obvious if it's not available to you in your Member's Area, then it's not available. Unfortunately, it has not been released yet anyway.
            If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

Try clicking on the 'More Download Options' radio button then select it from the dropdown list (as eJM says though, it's not yet an official release)
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Garamond
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by creativepart
                Here's something that VB seems to have totally forgotten. Many of us have very large forums that have been on VB for a long-time. My members would absolutely revolt if I changed my largest forums from 3.8 to 4.X. Too many changes -- not too mention the pain of trying to make 4.1 even look like my 3.8 version.

I have 65,000 members and they complain loudly for even the slightest change. 4.X has changes around every corner.

I run 6 forums. 5 of them on 3.7 and 3.8. and one on 4.1. The 4.1 forum is my newest and I stared it on 4.1. So, I'm very familiar with 4.1 and all it offers.

I don't think that I will ever change my largest and oldest forum to 4.1 and I worry what that will mean. But I guarantee you that my users would seriously revolt if they suddenly had to deal with 4.X. Just the 4.X attachment system alone would be a nightmare for my members.

I know plenty of folks that bash VB, and I tend to hold my criticism but honestly it's a train wreck what the developers have done -- when seen in the light of a forum owner that has been running VB for years. Even IB hasn't updated 90% of their Forums -- some are even on 3.6 for goodness sakes.

If VB sat down and looked at it with an open mind they'd see that 4.X may work fine for new installs, but it's a deal killer for older established forums. Why be so pigheaded and stubborn about this? Keep offering and developing both versions -- 3.X and 4.X -- side by side and let the market decide.

As it is, if I was going to update my older forums to 4.X I'd consider changing to IPB or XF first -- I mean if I'm going to incite a user revolt with 4.X I might as well just go all the way and dump VB while I'm at it.

This issue is ruining VB and they should be wise enough to realize this.
                You hit the nail with this one.

Comment

• creativepart
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Thank you for the comment. So far in this issue people have either supported 4.X or bashed it. But there is more to this story than 4.X's problems or perceived problems.

The real problem is 3.X is slated for end of life.

As I see it there are three choices:

1. VB stops being stubborn and reopens 3.X for at least another year. Perhaps they even make a few improvements in it. Maybe even sell it again. (See Microsoft and their XP OS life extension when the market rebelled on their newer OS for details.)

2. VB makes 4.X more like 3.8. to satisfy all the hundreds of thousands that will never upgrade their 3.X forums to 4.X. I see this as unlikely -- but an interesting option. Strip the StyleVars type templating, the new menubar, the new styling and the new Attachement system from 4.X and put back the 3.8 Templates and you'd have a pretty good example of what's needed.

3. More and more 3.X users will choose to move off of the VB platform because they can't or don't want to switch to 4.X and if they're going to "upgrade" then all options are open. 4.X is as much or more different than switching to IPB would be.

I was at a meeting last week with Adrian. I should have said something, but I never spoke to him. I figure he's heard it all before and he's closed minded about this stuff. (His presentation was not encouraging at all, either.)

Watch. There are hundreds of thousands of 3.8 users that are perfectly happy to remain on 3.8. If VB stops supporting it, they will find a way to continue. Someone will pave the way for them and make a business out of it. It will either be VB or a current competitor or some other new party that sees the HUGE marketing opportunity that VB has created here. A whole new subset of VB users will be created.

Comment

• Garamond
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Very good points indeed, and you are airing my thoughts exactly. Please, vBulletin Solutions, increase your support for 3.8.x and maybe add some features such as Facebook Connect. It can't be that much hassle for you since your staff are bigger than Jelsofts was. We are many frustrated 3.8 users out there that don't want to "jump ship" to 4.1 in the risk of loosing many members and in the end maybe the whole forum - in addition to the plethora of other reasons not to upgrade.

This is serious business and not pointless whining.

Comment

• smiggy
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 3.8.x

Wishful thinking.

Ever since IB took over they have had no intention of fully supporting the 3.8 series for bug fixes let alone further development. After Andy Huang released 3.8.4 back in August 2009, IB have only released two maintenance releases with a combine total of about (roughly) 30-40 bug fixes. That stinks, and 3.8.7 only will contain 4 (unless that changes) bug fixes.

IB, want to kill the 3.x branch ASAP and will probably only support it for security fixes for a short while.

All of us have been crying out for further development/releases for months but they could careless. It's taken them 7 months to get around releasing probably the tiniest release in vB history, haha.

Comment

• creativepart
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.8.x

It is wishful thinking. I realize that. But I think that the time has come for us dedicated 3.8 users and VB customers to demand that VB and IB pay attention to our request. I think that all the bickering about 4.X is wrong headed. For most of us, we just wanted 4.X to be a BETTER version of 3.8. It's not. It's too different than 3.8 and that is why we can't use it. Not because it's full of bugs. Or IB is staffed with idiots. Or VB chased away all the developers. All that is water under the bridge and none of it matters.

We're not attacking 4.X we're demanding that 3.8 not reach end of life yet. And, that it be given some attention. We want VB to let us plan to run our forum businesses on this older software just the way IB runs 90% of its forums on this older version. But we want an end to the uncertainty.

It's not a threat, but the truth -- if VB doesn't do this someone else will. The install base for 3.X is too large to be abandoned like this. And, I think it's been proven conclusively that most 3.X forums are not planning to "upgrade" to 4.X.

VB is a company that wants to earn money and dominate their market. They can't do that on just VB 4.X nearly as well as they could on VB 3.X and 4.X co-existing.

VB is cutting off their nose to spite their face -- they think because they forced us all to buy upgrades to 4.X that one day we will make this leap. But what they are forgetting is that we were forced to buy our upgrades BEFORE we saw 4.X. Knowing what we know now, we would not have bought those upgrades -- but tens of thousands of us would buy 3.X license upgrades tomorrow if we knew that VB was going to go back to supporting and working on 3.8.

VB don't take my word on it. Make a business case for this by doing a very quick online survey of all of your License Holders. Ask them:
                        1. What version are you running?
                        2. If 3.X do you plan to upgrade your site to 4.X?
                        3. Would you like to see VB to continue to support and develop 3.X?
                        4. Would you purchase a license renewal for 3.X if it was still being worked on and updated by VB?
                        I bet you'll see a definite demand and business case for extending 3.8.

Heck change the product name. Call if VB Classic and sell two sets of software -- VB Classic and VB 4.1.

It may be wishful thinking but it makes good business sense and VB should be able to recognize this.

Comment

• MikeG
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 3.8.x

We're stuck on 3.8.7 too. After reading all the complaints on this thread I decided to re-write the facebook connect plugin for Facebook's PHP API v3.0. Seems like a lot of us could benefit from it...

Comment

• punchbowl
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MikeG
                            We're stuck on 3.8.7 too. After reading all the complaints on this thread I decided to re-write the facebook connect plugin for Facebook's PHP API v3.0. Seems like a lot of us could benefit from it...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=270219
                            looks good. hopefully it won't be affected too much by the new (compatible with 3.8) fb app

Comment

• MikeG
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by punchbowl
                              looks good. hopefully it won't be affected too much by the new (compatible with 3.8) fb app
                              what app are you referring to?

Comment

• punchbowl
                                • Nov 2006
                                • 4.0.x

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...