X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riderbook
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.5.x

need a little help with coding

I was looking out to hide ips for super admins and found a post my member in vborg on how to hide ip:

HTML Code:
    But you can easily disable IP logging by editing a single file directly. This has the benefits of not only disabling logging for posts, but globally, even in error-, admin- and event-logs, as well as PMs and the currently online list.

Open file includes/class_core.php
    Line 2259 find
    return $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    replace with
    global $vbulletin;
            if ($vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] == $vbulletin->options['superadmin_id'])
            return "127.0.0.1";
            return $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

and Line 2269 find

$alt_ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    replace with
    [CODE]global $vbulletin;
            if ($vbulletin->userinfo['userid'] == $vbulletin->options['superadmin_id'])
            return "127.0.0.1";
    $alt_ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

actually this would dis-able logging ip of all super admins. I only wish to disable ip logging for idno.325, how can I do that ?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

For code modifications, you should post over at vbulletin.org
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• eJM
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.8.x

This isn't a code modification issue. You can hide IPs from any user group you want. If you don't have a user group that fits the bill, create a new one that does. Put anyone you want in that user group with the appropriate permissions.

Jim
      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
      www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• riderbook
        • Oct 2006
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by eJM
        This isn't a code modification issue. You can hide IPs from any user group you want. If you don't have a user group that fits the bill, create a new one that does. Put anyone you want in that user group with the appropriate permissions.

Jim
        how to do that ? can u explain a little brief for an beginner level user
        I'm referring to how to hide ips for the usergroup or is it possible just to hide ips for the super admins alone ?

Comment

• eJM
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.8.x

AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > [select user group to manage] > Who's Online Permissions
          If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
          www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• riderbook
            • Oct 2006
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by eJM
            AdminCP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > [select user group to manage] > Who's Online Permissions
            I think it gives usergroups permission to view ip address or not that's it if I am correct. I don't think it will disable ip loggin for usergroups over then . Correct me if I am wrong

Comment

• eJM
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.8.x

I don't understand much of what you just asked. But my answer was to this question I did understand:
              I'm referring to how to hide ips for the usergroup or is it possible just to hide ips for the super admins alone ?
              Or maybe I misunderstood. Are you asking if the IP addresses of specific usergroups can be hidden from those who can view IP addresses? The answer to that would be no. My question would be "why?" If you don't trust people in a certain usergroup to see all IPs, then don't give them permission to see them.
              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• riderbook
                • Oct 2006
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by eJM
                I don't understand much of what you just asked. But my answer was to this question I did understand:

Or maybe I misunderstood. Are you asking if the IP addresses of specific usergroups can be hidden from those who can view IP addresses? The answer to that would be no. My question would be "why?" If you don't trust people in a certain usergroup to see all IPs, then don't give them permission to see them.
                ok sorry for being un clear Trevor understood my question probably on the first occasion itself.

anyways, The simple answer for why is - Moderators can be tricky they are not admins or co-admins for the same reason. There is every chance of them posting out admin's ip if they have some sortta mis-understanding. This could really harm some big forums which have similar niche competition. If, we disable to see ip's then it will be difficult to control the spammers as when u ban the spammer from one id he would register using an other. IP would be the source to check for this and its honestly impossible for admins to check out each reported user by mods.

Comment

• eJM
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.8.x

My problem, apparently, was understanding your use of the English language. But I'm glad there are those who do understand and are able to offer you the best support.
                  www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• riderbook
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by eJM
                    My problem, apparently, was understanding your use of the English language. But I'm glad there are those who do understand and are able to offer you the best support.
                    lol! sorry bro, English ain't my first language.

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by eJM
                      He wants to allow usergroups the ability to visit his forum without their IP being logged/stored/written down in the database, at all.

Like a cloak of invisibility.
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• riderbook
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Ace
                        He wants to allow usergroups the ability to visit his forum without their IP being logged/stored/written down in the database, at all.

Like a cloak of invisibility.
                        yep!! Thanks for putting that in a more clear fashion
                        If usergroups isn't possible I happy with userid being invisible on the ip log records on the forum,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...