X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Siegler
    • Feb 2006
    • 4.2.X

Custom Avatars not showing up

Been using vb for awhile, so I thought of the immediate suggestions (php ini tmp dir).

The problem is that users can't upload custom avatars. But it's not like most of the time that's reported, which is some sort of tmp or upload error. No errors are given. It's reported to be a success! However, nothing changes.

A user can select a pre-built in avatar, but not upload anything and have it work. Any ideas?

Avatar images are being served by the database. Just in case, I checked the custom avatar directory, and it's permissions are 777.

What's odd about this is that it USED to work. Somewhere along the line it stopped, so I doubt it's the php.ini variable, because it was working, and I ahven't touched that on the server in bloody ages.

Any other ideas?
    Joe Siegler - Webmaster
    Black Sabbath Online
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Difficult to resolve this based on that info. The first question I have is, do you have any modifications or add-ons installed?
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Thu 11 Nov '10, 8:01am.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Joe Siegler
      • Feb 2006
      • 4.2.X

Fixed.

I initially checked php.ini, and it had blank for upload_tmp_dir, so I created a directory, gave it permissions of 777, put that directory in php.ini, restarted apache, and it still didn't work. I then hit the diagnostics area of vB, and tried doing a test upload, and got this:

PHP's open_basedir setting has been set to /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs:/tmp. The uploaded file was stored outside of this directory and is not readable. You will need to contact your host and ask them to specify upload_tmp_dir with a directory inside /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs:/tmp. Note that PHP must be able to read and write to this directory.
      I looked, and this mydomain/httpdocs/tmp dir had gotten blown away. So I reverted my php.ini change, restarted apache again, and added that tmp dir in there.

All works again. So somewhere along the line the tmp dir had gotten blown away, causing the problems.
      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Interesting because usually if that is the case, you would get some sort of error.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Joe Siegler
          • Feb 2006
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Interesting because usually if that is the case, you would get some sort of error.
          That's what I thought, too. I figured if the tmp dir didn't exist, it would complain about not being able to upload an avatar, but it didn't do that. It said "Avatar changed" (or whatever the actual text is for a successful avatar change, I forget what it is right this second). Hence my coming here.

BTW, this is 3.86PL1.
          Joe Siegler - Webmaster
          Black Sabbath Online

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Usually you would see 'Upload failed' in that case.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Joe Siegler
              • Feb 2006
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Usually you would see 'Upload failed' in that case.
              That's what I thought, but it wasn't happening. I did fix the problem, but I was curious as to why the error wasn't shown.
              Joe Siegler - Webmaster
              Black Sabbath Online

Comment