X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forcerr
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

My Private Message aren't working..

I've just realised i haven't been able to receive private messages. I've tried on a test account and it works fine, just not on my admin account.

I've repaired/optimised the table and disabled then re enabled my private messages.

It looks as if the message is sending i'm just not receiving them.

I asked a member to send me a PM and it got added to the end of the table in the database, i can see the PM they are sending but it hasn't reached my account.

Any ideas?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• forcerr
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.5.x

the problem still exists

They have worked for years until only recently i noticed i wasn't able to receive them. I am able to send them and no other admins/mods/members are having this problem.

Comment

• forcerr
        • Apr 2006
        • 3.5.x

Is there anyway i can create a new account transfer all post data then delete old account ive tried everything else.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Link to your forum?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Please fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a link to this thread and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

The reason why I asked for a link is because I know someone else who had a similar problem and they were a victim of the latest security exploit- someone made a second user with the same username as them (the admin) and so they hijacked all the PM's that were supposed to be sent to the real admin. However when the security exploit was announced here they didn't say this could happen, they said both parties would get a copy of the PM- but in some cases at least that didn't happen and only the new account got the PM. Look on your member's list and see if you have 2 admin accounts (whatever your username is).

Comment

• forcerr
                • Apr 2006
                • 3.5.x

BirdOPrey5,

At first i thought this wasn't the case until i checked the awaiting email user group and noticed there are 3 users with the same username as me. I've deleted them but i guess they have been receiving my private messages

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

If you hadn't deleted them you could have viewed their PM's using the "Login as user" or "read pms" hack, or just looking in the database directly.
                  You can prevent this from happening again by using a regular expression to validate usernames- it's been talked about here quite a bit.

Comment

• Freezerator
                    • May 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Thanks, i had the same issue since first of september!
                    Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...