Extremely large thread cause slow perfomance?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bacemail
    • Feb 2010
    • 3.8.x

Extremely large thread cause slow perfomance?

I have several long threads. One is over 16,000 posts. Could this cause a slow down in post replies throughout the whole board?

If so, then how many posts in a single thread are too many?

After how many posts should I close a thread?

Is there an automated way to do this?
  • punchbowl
    • Nov 2006
    • 4.0.x

Apparently so. I've a few around the 10k mark that don't cause me any real problems in 3.8 but there has been a few posts in here about long threads and slow downs

Comment

• bacemail
      • Feb 2010
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by punchbowl
      Apparently so. I've a few around the 10k mark that don't cause me any real problems in 3.8 but there has been a few posts in here about long threads and slow downs
      Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a thread or two via search, but I was wondering if there is a rule-of-thumb regarding "number of posts in thread". My board is still loading fast, but replies are now taking 3-7 seconds. Members aka "my customers" are noticing the slow down and are a bit irritated by it. Slow reply is occurring regardless of how many members are logged on.

Comment

• bacemail
        • Feb 2010
        • 3.8.x

Also, I've noticed that my post tables are daily generating k's of overhead. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Comment

• punchbowl
          • Nov 2006
          • 4.0.x

If you can then start an "ALL NEW [Name of Existing Thread]!!!!!" and lock the old one. I just went to google this issue and this thread is #1 in google lol - damn you google caffeine, damn you to hell!

Maybe someone else will happen by and see this who remembers the old rule of thumb (if there is any) - I may have read something here Server Configuration or vb.org. Maybe try there too.

I'm hazy at best on the issue. I've seen it raised before a few times tho.

Comment

• bacemail
            • Feb 2010
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by punchbowl
            If you can then start an "ALL NEW [Name of Existing Thread]!!!!!" and lock the old one. I just went to google this issue and this thread is #1 in google lol - damn you google caffeine, damn you to hell!

Maybe someone else will happen by and see this who remembers the old rule of thumb (if there is any) - I may have read something here Server Configuration or vb.org. Maybe try there too.

I'm hazy at best on the issue. I've seen it raised before a few times tho.
            Thanks for the help. I have a lot of frustrated reading to do. I wish I could just pay someone to fix this. This is like buying a car, then having to learn how the whole thing works and fix it yourself.

Maybe I'll open a ticket.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

I think I saw a Rule-Of-Thumb of 10,000 posts in a thread being a good 'limit' at one time. However, I have several threads on my site with over 10K posts and I've never noticed a problem (nor have any of my users mentioned a problem with them and they are popular threads). I really think this depends on the server itself.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• bacemail
                • Feb 2010
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                I think I saw a Rule-Of-Thumb of 10,000 posts in a thread being a good 'limit' at one time. However, I have several threads on my site with over 10K posts and I've never noticed a problem (nor have any of my users mentioned a problem with them and they are popular threads). I really think this depends on the server itself.
                Thanks Lynne.

It's a big help to know that there are other forums with sizable threads that are doing fine.

Do you find that your post tables acquire large amounts of overhead? My postparsed and posthash tables build up several k's a day of overhead. Is that normal for you? I keep wanting to think that a template was corrupted since I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks again for your helpful answers everybody.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by bacemail
                  Do you find that your post tables acquire large amounts of overhead? My postparsed and posthash tables build up several k's a day of overhead. Is that normal for you? I keep wanting to think that a template was corrupted since I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks again for your helpful answers everybody.
                  I just looked and my post table (.9GB) has no overhead at the moment (although I swear it usually does have some!). The postparsed table does have a bit over 5MB of overhead.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• bacemail
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                    I just looked and my post table (.9GB) has no overhead at the moment (although I swear it usually does have some!). The postparsed table does have a bit over 5MB of overhead.
                    Okay... I feel better. Thank you very much.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...