X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! MySQL Error : The table 'attachment' is full

Hi,

I am getting an error form MySql:
    MySQL Error : The table 'attachment' is full.
    My users cannot upload any attachments, The table size is 4GB. I guess its sort of limitation from MySql and not vBulletin.
    Do you know what setting do i need to change to increase the limit? Do you recommend "Switching Attachments from the Database to the File System"? If so why?

Thanks
    Maayan Dreamer

Highly, Highly recommend using the file system instead of the database.

Why? Performance reasons and DB size reasons. (as you have already experienced)
    To be updated...

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply.

Do you know what do i need to prepare before doing that process?
      Do you know how long my vBulletin needs to be down to completion of this process?
      Is there any wizard?
      (Vbulletin Help is a big vague...)

Switching Attachments from the Database to the File System and vice-versa

This process will allow you to move your attachments from the database into the file system, or, if they are in the file system, to a different directory in the file system or back into the database. Please note that if you do not have enough disk space in the intended destination, the process will fail, but your attachments will be safe as tests are done first to ensure there is enough space.
      Attachments will not be removed from the database or filesystem and your storage type setting will not be changed until the end of the process.
      If the process aborts before the end, you will need to free up space or prune attachments before trying again.

If you are moving attachments into the file system, it is recommended that you do *not* place the folder under your web root (usually named public_html or www or www_root) because people will be able to bypass vBulletin's permission system and download them. Also, you will need to make the folder writeable by PHP. The easiest way to do this is CHMOD it 777 (consult your FTP, Telnet, or SSH documentation for more info on how to do this). We do not recommended that you put a folder that is CHMODed 777 under your web root - another good reason to have it located above the document root.

If you are moving attachments from the file system into the database, you must have enough storage space on the drive and/or partition where your database is located.

Comment

Generally speaking, I would create a folder as in the following example:

Web server public directory is public_html, which includes a sub folder for a forum install. (/public_html/forums)

To avoid permission problems, keeping your attachments secure from direct URL access, is create a folder on the same level as the public_html. Therefore, it cannot be accessed by a direct URL. Only the forum system would know the relative path of where to get the attachments from and display those to the persons entitled to view them.

So, create the folder as whatever name you would like, set the permissions as it says above... then update your AdminCP with the folder location and let it test the folder. When you go to move the attachments into the file system, it will test the location before it proceeds with the process.

How long you keep your site down is all dependent on just pure quantity of attachments you have to process. You can get this information from the attachment manager.

That's pretty much about it.. but make sure your web server has enough space to hold the attachments.

Oh, and always, BACKUP YOUR DB BEFORE you do ANYTHING.

Anyone else, feel free to add in extra comments about this process.
        To be updated...

Comment

Ok, Thanks guy i will do it tomorrow and update this thread.
          Again, Thanks!

Comment

Hi guys.

I just did that. backup-ed up everything before and .. it was simple, easy and fast.

The images are now loading much faster.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MDreamer View Post
              Hi guys.

I just did that. backup-ed up everything before and .. it was simple, easy and fast.

The images are now loading much faster.

Thank you.
              Excellent news. Glad it worked out for you.
              To be updated...

Comment

Hi. I'm having the same problem, however, I keep getting th error code that it cannot move them because of permissions. I've checked with hosinting and they said they are set correctly. Any suggestions??

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X