• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cappa26
    • Aug 2010
    • 3.8.x

CNAME Subdomain, how do I hide the URL?

Hello,

I currently Have Site abc.com and I made CNAME forum.abc.com point at 123.com which is where VB is currently up and running and hosted.

Now when someone clicks or types on the link forum.abc.com it will goto 123.com and show the 123.com in the URL address bar.

Is it possible to hide the URL in the address bar so that when someone either types forum.abc.com it will stay that way when they are navigating the page? I know it's been done but I can't seem to find the past threads.

Thanks in advance!
  • renep
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

You'd have to configure the web server on 123.com to be a virtual host for forum.abc.com and not redirect requests for that hostname/domain to another hostname/domain. And you'd have to configure the vBulletin instance on 123.com and tell it that its forum url is forum.abc.com.
    "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

... or just install it on forum.abc.com and be done with it.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Cappa26
        • Aug 2010
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ace
        ... or just install it on forum.abc.com and be done with it.
        Volusion does support forum software

Comment

• Cappa26
          • Aug 2010
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
          You'd have to configure the web server on 123.com to be a virtual host for forum.abc.com and not redirect requests for that hostname/domain to another hostname/domain. And you'd have to configure the vBulletin instance on 123.com and tell it that its forum url is forum.abc.com.
          Thank you, could you be more specific as to how I would do that with VB 3.8, I have no idea where to start.

Comment

• renep
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Cappa26
            I have no idea where to start.
            Login as root and open the web server's configuration file in an editor. What's in there?
            "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
            - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Cappa26
              • Aug 2010
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
              Login as root and open the web server's configuration file in an editor. What's in there?
              You mean login as admin into the cpanel? Sorry I am very new to this.

Comment

• Cappa26
                • Aug 2010
                • 3.8.x

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Cappa26
                  Volusion does support forum software
                  I have to ask, what does this mean?
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...