Authorize.net changed their API and broke paid subscriptions.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spark
    • Mar 2001

Authorize.net changed their API and broke paid subscriptions.

I've posted this to the trouble ticket system, but I'm repeating it here to alert other Authorize.net users. Apparently in the last 48 hours Authorize.net has changed the way they handle decimals. Previously a transaction for $10 was handled as $10.00. Transactions now have 4 decimal places, so the $10.00 is now $10.000. As a result, charges are failing hash checks.

What does this mean for admins? It would appear that the transactions are being approved at Authorize.net's end - we're receiving the money; the problem is that the user gets a Hash Check Failed message and the forums don't update their membership level. Transactions are shown as "failure" in the transaction log, but are approved when you look at the report. End result: customer thinks the charge has not gone through, reattempts to charge, gets another error message, wash rinsh repeat until they quit. I've had to void more than a few charges as a result - if I don't catch these before COB batch-out, they are treated as valid charges and I then incur fees to refund them.
    Spark
    Kevin Jon Schlossberg
    [email protected]
    "Only Sharp Knives are Interesting"
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Nicely spotted, and thanks for sharing. I admin a site where they use this paid subscription as additional option, and have disabled it for now. Thankfully no payments on authorize.net in the last 3 months though. They all used paypal on that site.

Comment

• Gary Fischman
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.0.10+

Yep - I just ran into this as well. Got a complaint, and it was exactly as you described.

I've had to disable my Authorize.net payment processor until this is fixed. Is this going to be addressed in 3.8?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

You would need to raise a Bug for this if you haven't already

EDIT: I see you have...
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• gpzzone
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

Could this be what Paypal have done earlier in the year. Their IPN system is a real mess, and, exactly as described here, payment for a subscription renewal is taken but the user is not elevated within the usergroups. After a number of failed IPN's Paypal disable the IPN system.

This Paypal problem is blighting hundreds if not thousands of users, and I for one have been searching for a solution for over 3 months, something as insidious as an extra couple of decimal places is going to creep under the radar of any developer because in the real world it has no real impact. ( I can't think of any currencies that go to 4 decimal places.)

Could I ask a developer to follow this angle through, it makes sense given that it's only renewals, which of course will have been extablished to 2 x decimal places, and new subscriptions (which are unaffected) will be governed by any new 4 decimal places system.

Edit - just in case this is the issue, I've amended my subscription charges to a 4 decimal place format, and I'm crossing my fingers!
          "Live in England and subject yourself to the punishing taxes of envy. It's hard to be a winner in a society dedicated to the glorification of losers."

Comment

• TheMustangSource
            • Jun 2006
            • 4.0.x

I am experiencing this issue. I have entered an MD5 hash with no luck. Please help ASAP!
            The Mustang Source

Comment

• chrispritchard
              • Jun 2011
              • 4.1.x

I'm having this problem too. Users who pay for their subscriptions (we use Authorize.net) are not advancing to the new, paid usergroup. We have to do this manually when we receive a copy of the email receipt from Authorize.net. In the transaction log, all transactions show up as "failure." Users are retrying their order and I'm having to refund duplicates. We have a very busy site and I really need a fix for this.

Has any headway been made on this issue?

Thanks,
              Chris

Ooops .. I'm on 4.1.3.

Comment

• IBxAnders
                • Aug 2001
                • 4.0.x

I thought this was fixed already. Let me check the tracker...
                anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
                Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
                Please be my friend!
                http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
                vBulletin Performance Articles:
                Click here to read

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...