Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • Apr 2006

Cookie issues

Hi I have a number of members on my site,myself included, that seem to be having cookie problems.
    This has started to happen after upgrading from 3.8.3 to 3.8.5 at the weekend.

The issue seems to be that previously we could remain logged in, but now vB seems to require a login and password at each visit, despite the "Remember Me" box being ticked.

I have cleared my site cookies and have advised affected users to do the same, but they are still saying that is affecting them.
    It's affecting me on multiple PC's.

All templates have been updated as part of the upgrade.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Has any cookie functionality changed as part of this upgrade?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Have you tried changing the cookie prefix in your config.php file? This will force users to login again but should make sure that a new, clean cookie is saved to their machine.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• DaveS
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
      Have you tried changing the cookie prefix in your config.php file? This will force users to login again but should make sure that a new, clean cookie is saved to their machine.
      No. Because I'm very reluctant to change anything like that that affects the whole user base of many thousands of people. Only a few people are currently reporting an issue.

Comment

• Jobe1986
        • Jan 2007
        • 4.2.x

I've had a few users experiencing the same issue on a forum I admin since upgrading to 3.8.5, and I hadn't been experiencing it myself, that is UNTIL I changed my password, the salt got longer, and the problem started.

EDIT:
        After changing the cookie prefix the problem STILL persists.
        Last edited by Jobe1986; Fri 30 Apr '10, 6:25pm.
        http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• DaveS
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jobe1986
          I've had a few users experiencing the same issue on a forum I admin since upgrading to 3.8.5, and I hadn't been experiencing it myself, that is UNTIL I changed my password, the salt got longer, and the problem started.

EDIT:
          After changing the cookie prefix the problem STILL persists.
          Don't ask me why but to solve this I had to physically delete the specific site cookie. I use Firefox and for some reason deleting all cookies didn't work, but going back in and deleting the just the specific site cookie did!
          I've been fine since then and have told my users to do the same. No other problems reported.

Comment

• Jobe1986
            • Jan 2007
            • 4.2.x

I know its not an ideal solution but I've found the only working solution for my instance has been to set the SALT_LENGTH define() back to 3, after doing that, and changing their passwords, everyone who couldn't stay logged in, can again.
            http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

...and makes your forum less secure...
              Vote for:

Comment

• aa7bq
                • Sep 2007
                • 3.6.x

Trevor,

I'm having this problem too, and I have 300,000 members on my board. My email inbox is filling up with complaints.

Your suggestion to "change the cookie prefix" didn't sound very confident at all. I would think that if you actually knew what was causing the problem, you could tell us. Don't be afraid to share the details with us. Those of us who are systems engineers and programmers can really use the information.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

I don't know however I know from others doing what I suggested, it allows people to log in again.
                  Vote for:

Comment

• Carsafety
                    • Jan 2003

I've been having this issue for weeks now as well. Also running 3.8.5. I've had users clear cookies, clear cache, double check to "remember me". The provider has tried some things, including disabling memcache and a few other ideas they had. Nothing seems to help those affected. Though they seem to be a relatively small minority, I'm hoping someone has a fix. Can someone please explain the above remedy, where to change the variable etc? Has it worked for anyone else?

Comment

• john2k
                      • Jul 2000

I have a few members who are experiencing this issue. I'll be suggesting that they first try to logout and login again with "remember me" checked. If that doesn't work, we'll try deleting cookies. Next step I'll likely recommend that they download and install a different web browser just to rule out if it is a browser issue or something else. If I remember I will post again if I find a solution.
                      ...john2k...

Comment

• ccaldwell
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 3.6.x

I am having the same issue. I have tried Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same results. There is a problem with this and it should be fixed soon.

Comment

• Carsafety
                          • Jan 2003

I have since had a few members leave for this reason alone It's sad that there is no apparent fix to whatever caused it in the patch a while back. It seems like manually deleting the forum cookie with no open browsers may work for some people, but most of my users are not proficient enough to do that. This is a really awful bug that is very problematic for a small subset of registered members.

Comment

• cykelmyggen
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 3.5.x

Just confirming this issue, which I've been having since upgrading from 3.8.4 to 3.8.5
                            http://www.boggnasker.dk/vbforums/

Comment

• VW Derf
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3.5.x

Has there been any resolution to this? This seems to be happening to my site as well with FF users with XP Pro.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...