Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melbo
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.8.x

Has been happening here to me even with upgrade to 3.8.6 We've tried all the usual fixes, delete cookies, clear cache , etc. What and where do you suggest changing the cookie prefix? I think I tried changing it to vb at one point in config.php. We've lost members as well over the past few months and I think it's still a problem.

Comment

• Kelley
      • Jun 2001

I'm running 3.8.5 and having same issue. When users return, they see their username and *** for password, but have to login again. I'm guessing it's a config issue related to cookies, but afraid to make an error in changing a setting without checking with you guys first. Here's my particular setup. Config file has bb as the prefix.

public_html is my main directory.

VBAdvanced is installed in /public_html
      No cookie settings in the admin panel for VBA.

VBulletin is installed in /public_html/forums
      Path to Save cookies is set to / (there is an option for /forums/) but I have not selected it or tried it yet for fear I may not be able to login
      Cookie Domain is "blank" (there is an option for .mysite.com) but I have not selected it or tried it yet for fear I may not be able to login

PhotoPost is installed in /public_html/gallery
      Cookie Domain set as "/"
      Cookie Prefix for vB3 is set to bb
      PhotoPost Cookie Domain .yourdomain.com; sets the cookie to be usable across the domain so it's set .mysite.com

Comment

• melbo
        • Apr 2005
        • 3.8.x

I just changed my cookie domain from mysite.com back to blank and it seems to be working now. Try changing your settings to something else and then changing them back to how you want them. I am suddenly working again in all browsers after pulling all the levers a few times.

I have my cookie prefix set to vb instead of bb as this was a suggestion from a few months back when this showed up.

Your log in box being pre-filled in is a browser function 'save log in and password info, etc.'

Comment

• Kelley
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by melbo
          Your log in box being pre-filled in is a browser function 'save log in and password info, etc.'
          Okay, now I'm wondering if this is something new to the latest versions, and it's functioning as designed.

In the older versions we were using (2.2.8 by example), logging in with remember me kept users logged in unless they cleared their cookies and cache from the browser. In the newest version, when some people return, they have to log back in again. They tell me the username and password are prefilled, but they still have to hit the login button.

I increased the cookie time, but I'm curious to find out if logging users out after that period of time is normal, or by design.

Comment

• DFC005
            • Mar 2008

I'll add another voice to this problem. I too am having some users getting logged out after what seems to be the session timeout expires. Was fine before the upgrade to 3.8.5. Would LOVE a resolution to this as many of my users are getting extremely frustrated with this problem.
            http://www.sticksports.com

Comment

• DFC005
              • Mar 2008

Has anyone posted this as Bug yet?
              http://www.sticksports.com

Comment

• Kelley
                • Jun 2001

Doing a little more research, I think I'm getting closer to figuring out what's going on now. I don't believe this is cookie related in our case.

Most of our users report they're still logged in when visiting, which is most desired. However, there are several who report they are "not" logged in when they visit. I'm asking them to tell me what bookmark/link they're using to visit. I don't know if there's a difference between the links or if it even matters - http://mysite.com http://www.mysite.com or http://www.mysite.com/index.php

Meaning, I'm wondering if the bookmarked URL they're using may have some sort of impact? Including some of the more detailed URL's. i.e., http://www.mysite.com/index.php?pageid=activetopics

Comment

• Kelley
                  • Jun 2001

I'm asking the users who are visiting our site logged out to send me the specific URL's they've bookmarked. Found this out a few minutes ago

If I hit http://mysite.com I'm logged out.

http://www.mysite.com I'm logged in.
                  http://www.mysite.com/index.php I'm logged in.

Comment

• snakes1100
                    • Aug 2001

Yes, that would be a cookie domain issue, there is a cookie domain setting in your admincp --> vbulletin options.

Once you verify the correct settings, have the users nuke their cookies, clear their cache, restart their browsers, then revisit the site.
                    Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Kelley
                      • Jun 2001

It appears to be more related to domain name (DNS). I'm reading about something called CNAME, perhaps this is DNS related? Someone hitting mysite.com should be automatically forwarded to www.mysite.com This would eliminate the problem from what I'm reading . . . haven't had time to dig any further on it today.

Comment

• snakes1100
                        • Aug 2001

No, you are not automatically forwarded via dns to a www or non-www based url, the dns cname has nothing to do with the issue.

Did you do what i posted above?
                        Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Kelley
                          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by snakes1100
                          Did you do what i posted above?
                          Yes. I had users (including myself) clear their cache, and delete all cookies. I personally used CCleaner. No change, we have the same issue. Tried this procedure twice, walking a few of them through it over the phone.

It also seems to depend on what they're using as a browser, but I haven't uncovered a common theme just yet. Some are using Firefox, some using older versions of IE, some using Safari. The iTouch and Droid never drop the login, constantly logged in with no issue. It's the desktop browsers where we're seeing the issue, and it's not everyone so that's why I was thinking maybe the CNAME or DNS issue, or perhaps the bookmark they're using.

Comment

• snakes1100
                            • Aug 2001

What is your cookie domain set to?
                            Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Kelley
                              • Jun 2001

See this post above. I tried to include everything that may be pertinent to the situation.

Yesterday I noticed a laptop I have is always logged in, but haven't had time to dig into it and see what differences there are between it, and the desktop I'm using that logs me out about 1 or 2 times a day.

Comment

• snakes1100
                                • Aug 2001

Sorry, i missed it the first time, i see you set it to blank, set it to .yoursite.com, clear your cookies and try again.

Edit to add: Make sure yo uall clear your cookies after the cookie domain change.

This can also be caused by custom code you've added, do you run ads on your site?
                                Last edited by snakes1100; Sat 31 Jul '10, 3:09am.
                                Gentoo Geek

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...