What happens when an annual subscription renews?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fastrack1
    • Jun 2009

What happens when an annual subscription renews?

I have a forum that requires a paid annual subscription. Once they pay, I manually changed their permissions to allow access. It is not done automatically, because only certain corporate people are allowed on our site and I have to verify them in our corporate address book first.

When the subscription runs out in a year, do they receive some type of automatice notice that allows them to pay for another years subscription and maintain their current permissions? Will it direct them to pay via the same method (paypal in this case) as was previously used? What is the process of renewal?

The forum has only been running for 4 months, so I hoping someone can tell me what to expect.
  • fastrack1
    • Jun 2009

Is there anyone that can help me on this? I changed the paid subscription on my personal account to see what would happen. So far, my subscription renews within about 20 days and I have received no notifications from vBulletin. I have over one thousand people renewing in November of 2010. Is there something they will receive and will it allow them to renew and pay without me having to manually change their permissions again? Please help, as this is a huge issue for me. Thanks!!!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

A Paid Subscription will receive an email advising of expiry 2-3 days ahead of the expiry date. This is set in the includes/cron/subscriptions.php file. Edit the query to add additional time to the reminders.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• fastrack1
        • Jun 2009

Thank you for that. I found where the file is, but am at a loss on how to edit it. Can you provide more instructions? When I select "Edit File" here is the message I receive:

We have attempted to auto-detect the encoding of this file. However, this is not a foolproof process since some files will display properly with multiple different encodings. You should select the encoding that this file was originally created with. It is very important that you select the proper encoding; saving your file with the wrong encoding may result in the corruption of your text. If you are only using a Western European language like English, Spanish or French without any special characters you can safely assume "ISO-8859-1" will work just fine. If you are using a non-western language or you have special characters that are not HTML encoded in your file, you should enter "utf-8". If your file appears with text like this: or You may have selected the incorrect encoding. If this happens, you should immediately abort the edit and select the correct encoding. You should not save the file; this will likely corrupt the text permanently.

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

just download the file to your desktop and open it in wordpad or notepad
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• fastrack1
            • Jun 2009

Okay, did that. But where are the days listed to edit? Sorry, this is not my area of expertise. I looked through the entire file and don't see any days listed. They said it is set at a default of 2-3 before expiry, but I just don't see it.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

If you look around line 48, you'll see this:

Code:
                  // time for the reminders
                  $subscriptions_reminders = $vbulletin->db->query_read("
                      SELECT subscriptionlog.subscriptionid, subscriptionlog.userid, subscriptionlog.expirydate, user.username, user.email, user.languageid
                      FROM " . TABLE_PREFIX . "subscriptionlog AS subscriptionlog
                      LEFT JOIN " . TABLE_PREFIX . "user AS user ON (user.userid = subscriptionlog.userid)
                      WHERE subscriptionlog.expirydate >= " . (TIMENOW + (86400 * 2)) . "
                          AND subscriptionlog.expirydate <= " . (TIMENOW + (86400 * 3)) . "
                          AND status = 1
                  ");
              The expiry time is set to look for today's time, plus one day (86400 seconds) multiplied by 2 and 3 - anything between those gets a renewal mail.

You can change the 2 and 3 to whatever days notice you want to give. Bear in mind that every upgrade you make to the software will overwrite this change so you will need to re-edit the file.
              Vote for:

Comment

• fastrack1
                • Jun 2009

I don't have that code. Here is what I have. Sorry for the length:

CODE REMOVED
                Last edited by Trevor Hannant; Thu 2 Sep '10, 4:59am. Reason: root/subscriptions.php code removed to make thread easier to read

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

Wrong file. As per my original reply, look in includes/cron/subscriptions.php
                  Vote for:

Comment

• fastrack1
                    • Jun 2009

I'm sorry that I so new at this. I can't find that file.

Here is the path I'm going.

Cpanel > Files > Legacy File Manager > Home Directory > THEN WHAT?

Comment

• Loco.M
                      • Mar 2005
                      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by fastrack1
                      I'm sorry that I so new at this. I can't find that file.

Here is the path I'm going.

Cpanel > Files > Legacy File Manager > Home Directory > THEN WHAT?
                      well do you see a "public_html" folder?

if so it would be
                      public_html/includes/cron/subscriptions.php

that's if your forum is in the root, if not you would need to go down another level.

public_html/ForumFolder/includes/cron/subscriptions.php
                      -- Web Developer for hire
                      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

If your forums are installed in the root of the domain, then go to the includes folder, then the cron folder and you'll see the file in there.

If your forums are in a sub-directory (e.g. forums), go to forums > includes > cron and then the file.
                        Vote for:

Comment

• fastrack1
                          • Jun 2009

YES! Found it! Thanks so much. What character encoding should I select to edit the code? I want to have the reminder come 30 days prior to renewal. Would I change the numbers to 29 & 30?

Comment

• fastrack1
                            • Jun 2009

I have more questions about subscription renewals. I have a dummy account on my forum and the subscription came due and I did receive a notice. However, I didn't pay the subscription and my renewal date passed. However, it didn't change any of my permissions and I still have full access to the forum with an expired subscription. There has to be a way to automate this process. Here is what I was hoping for.

1. Current paid members are under custom usergroup "Paid Subscribers"
                            2. They get a renewal notice at 30 days and 10 days
                            3. Once their renewal expires without additional payment, then classification goes to usergroup "Registered Users" (which has no permissions and no access)
                            4. If they pay, their usergroup remains "Paid Subscribers"

Please tell me there is a way to do this and that I don't have to manually deal with each expiring subscription.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 5.7.X

There is an Scheduled task which should run daily to revert expired subscriptions. If you're only testing on the forum by yourself, it's possible that the scheduled tasks aren't running (they need activity on the forums to run!).

If you go to AdminCP > Scheduled Tasks > Scheduled Task Manager, press the 'Run Now' button next to the 'Subscriptions' task and it should resolve that for you.

Once you have an active forum, this will run automatically according to the default schedule.
                              Vote for:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...