X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homeworld'sa
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

Invalid Security Token Error on Mark Forums Read for vBulletin 3.8.5

Problem: After upgrading to vBulletin 3.8.5, my users now get Invalid Security Token errors on the Mark Forums Read script.

Reason:
    Upgrading a forum isn't easy and usually some edits in a new version don't get added as planned. When you've upgraded to vBulletin Version 3.8.5 and you get Invalid Security Token errors regarding the Mark Forums Read script, then please read this thread first! It contains a permanent fix to this issue.

The issue is relating to modified templates. The vBulletin upgrade script does NOT modify templates it wants to modify if the administrator has already modified a template. In this case, modifying the navbar or forumhome templates will result in an invalid security token error when trying to use the Mark Forums Read script.

Solution:

In your forumhome template, find the following code:
    Code:
    <a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[mark_forums_read]</a>
    Replace it with this:
    Code:
    <a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread&amp;markreadhash=$bbuserinfo[securitytoken]" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[mark_forums_read]</a>
    In your navbar template (twice), find this code:
    Code:
    <td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[mark_forums_read]</a></td>
    And replace with this:
    Code:
    <a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread&amp;markreadhash=$bbuserinfo[securitytoken]" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[mark_forums_read]</a>
    Hope this fixes your error. If a mod wants to sticky this, I am welcome to you to do so.

Homeworld'sa
    Last edited by Homeworld'sa; Tue 27 Apr '10, 8:36am.
    That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.
  • Homeworld'sa
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

If you can't find the codes above, then remove the rel="nofollow" attribute, since that may interfere with the searching of the code.
    That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• Desesperao
      • Feb 2005

It works perfect!!

Thank you very much.

Comment

• mgcom
        • Apr 2009
        • 4.0.x

this fixed more than one issue for me - cheers
        Youth Work Forum

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

No problem guys.
          I forgot to mention that credit goes to cellarius for finding the fix, but I thought it best posted in the support forum so people noticed it easier,

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
            • Sep 2009
            • 3.8.x

Also, this is not a bug so please don't post issues about this in the tracker.

Comment

• poolking
              • Aug 2002

So how can this not be a bug if it stops 3.8.5 from working properly?

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                • Sep 2009
                • 3.8.x

Because it just isn't. By default, un-modified forumhome, navbar templates should get the hash added, but modified templates don't get the hash added.

There is no need to have the script working, in fact, you could double click your forummarkers to mark the forum read.

Comment

• Zoro
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 3.8.x

thanks so much for this.

Comment

• clearchanel
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Homeworld'sa
                    If you've upgraded to vBulletin 3.8.5 and can't mark your forums read, please see this thread. It will fix the error.

In your navbar template (twice), find this code:
                    Code:
                    <td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]do=markread" rel="nofollow">$vbphrase[mark_forums_read]</a></td>
                    And replace with this:
                    Code:
                    I was only able to find the above code once in NavBar so my problem is still not fixed. Is there any other solution or did I do something worng with the above solution?

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Just search for those codes (don't know how many times it appears in the navbar).
                      This is the only solution. sorry.

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Is this sticky necessary/required if one has downloaded the newer version of 3.8.5?
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Yes, it is. 3.8.5 doesn't add the hash to most, if not all, styles installed on a forum.

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

This sticky is ONLY required if your template is customized and the 3.8.4 pl2 or 3.8.5 upgrade can't update that template.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Which is about 9/10 of all your installed styles. lol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...