• Show
Clear All
  • TalkBaja
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

No IP# On "Who's Online"; Just A Dot .

Hello,

We've had several Guests lately show up looking like this:

We're looking for a way so that the actual IP displays in "Who's Online"; it would also be useful in the many other cases where something other than the IP# appears.

So the "fetch ip" part of our code is in class_core.php? I believe we have it specified there as "$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']"; maybe with double quotes instead of single.

Received another possible suggestion here.

I'm just helping to shag down an answer for our admin., so please forgive any misconceptions/gaping holes in my understanding.

Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by TalkBaja; Fri 23 Apr '10, 9:21am.
  • Homeworld'sa
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

Most likely the guest/user is using a proxy server to hide their real IP. Might be wise to keep an eye on the user.
    That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• TalkBaja
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Homeworld'sa
      ...proxy server to hide their real IP. Might be wise to keep an eye on the user.
      We've got a few like that.

There has to be a part in our code where an actual IP address completes a handshake, otherwise there could be no connection, right?
      Last edited by TalkBaja; Fri 23 Apr '10, 9:04am.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
        • Sep 2009
        • 3.8.x

I don't honestly know. The people that use proxies are just spambots trying to hide their identity so there's no point trying to find out their real ip.
        That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• TalkBaja
          • Jun 2009
          • 3.8.x

Prefer not explore the utility of knowing it at this particular time.

This particular example is not a spambot. We see all kinds of spammers obfuscating their IPs(with the intent of avoiding a blocklist); we've also seen a few using this particular method that generates the dot in our code where it fetches the display for "Who's Online."

Data is retrieved; the data can't be sent to them if a destination isn't specified. When that address is received is when we want to fetch it for the "Who's Online" display.

Comment

• TalkBaja
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

Different Examples

That data is getting sent somewhere. We'd like to learn how to code so that where it is being sent address-wise is displayed in "Who's Online."
            Last edited by TalkBaja; Fri 23 Apr '10, 9:19am.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Check the server logs, its possible thats what getting sent back when you try to resolve their hostname.

Comment

• TalkBaja
                • Jun 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                Check the server logs, its possible thats what getting sent back when you try to resolve their hostname.
                We didn't check the server logs, but verified what you suggested is what's going on by another means.

In AdminCP>>vBulletin Options>>Who's Online Options>> we tried setting "Resolve IP Addresses" to no...

Dot. No. More! Plus it displays much, much quicker. When they said "dramatically slow down the Display of Who's Online" they weren't kidding.

Now we get actual IP#s for every connection; each clickable to resolve hostname.

That's our workaround for this concern, and we're happy so far with how it works.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...