Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbahn
    • Oct 2008

Newbie needs a little hand with setting up a private forum

I've fooled around with this for a while, but can't seem to get it right. Runing 3.8.1 I want to set up a forum that is can only be viewed and used by a group of about 5 to 10 members. I've set up the usergroup as a custom usergroup and added the title of the private forum, but it is still visible to both registered and unregistered users .

How exactly do I hide it from view from everyone except the small usergroup? I've gone to each user's registration page, the custom usergroup shows up unchecked then I check that group and save it, but is that the method to provide permission to the specific category?

I'm a little lost. . .
  • doggiebs
    • Sep 2008

go to the Quick Forum Permission Setup (acp>forums and moderators>forum permissions), then select the forum you want to make private in the combo box (Apply Permissions to Forum) then tick all the usergroups that you do not want to have access to this forum and then click on 'All No' , then select the settings you want and click save.

then will leave on the usegroups that you want to see it.

you could do the same the above again, but this time select the usergroups you want to have access and select the settings you want the usergroup to have.

A little tip, what I do when setting up permissions, is to set up a dummy user, then using another browser, login as the dummy user to see that they have the right permissions, once one usergroup's permissions is the way I want them, I change the dummy user to another usergroup and check the permissions, etc.
    Last edited by doggiebs; Fri 22 Jan '10, 9:41am.

Comment

• dbahn
      • Oct 2008

Thanks. That's working, although not perfectly. The forum still shows on the main page to anyone that accesses it unless I enable a "no" for the "Forum is Active" option in the Forum Manager.

What I'd like to be able to do is hide the forum completely from all users except the specified usergroup, who would be able to see it at the bottom of the page and view and post in it. The only way they can see it now is to go to the specific URL for it, which works OK for this limited application, but I'm looking at creating another forum that would have 2 or 3 levels of usergroups that would each see a different forum page when they accessed it. Maybe that can't be done without some mod.
      Last edited by dbahn; Sun 24 Jan '10, 3:24pm.

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

I've always been a bit confused with the permission system.
        There are forum permissions and usergroup permissions.

It sounds like you need to look at your permissions for guests, waiting for confirmation and registered and adjust as necessary for the forum you don't want them to view.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...