Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tribedude
    • Feb 2002

Setting a minimum post threshhold in order to PM

I would like to set a threshold # of posts that users have to have under their belt in order to use Private Messaging on our site. Hopefully this will prevent users signing up just to use our PM system to spam our members.

Is there a way to do this?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

You'll have to remove the permission from the current usergroup. Make a new usergroup and copy its settings and permissions (both drop down options) but allow pms. Setup a usergroup promotion based on posts and then save it.

Comment

• tribedude
      • Feb 2002

Thanks. I want this to apply to new registrations only without affecting existing Registered members . My new forum registrations currently go into a moderation queue and when I pick through them to eliminate the spam accounts and approve them they seem to become regular 'Registered" members. How can I set up my reqistration queue so when I approve them they become the new type of Registered member (with no PMs untill x# posts) you suggest above?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

What Zak is saying is:

- Edit the Registered usergroup to remove PM permissions
        - Create new usergroup based on it's permissions WITH PM privileges

There is no option to use a different usergroup for moderated users by default - the software is written to move users to the Registered usergroup.

To protect existing users who have under your threshold, you could move them to the new usergroup using AdminCP > Users > Prune/Move Users
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

The task should run and users who had the permission would very shortly recieve it again if forsome reason they didnt have it.

Comment

• tribedude
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Zachery
            Setup a usergroup promotion based on posts and then save it.
            Is this promotion an automated thing I can set up where PM ability is automatically activated after x number of posts? Or do I have to watch these new members until they reach the threshold and then enable their PMs manually. If there is a way to set up promotion automatically, how do I do it?

Comment

• fPower
              • Aug 2009
              • 3.8.x

Look for a feature in the Admin CP called Scheduled Tasks.

Comment

• tribedude
                • Feb 2002

I still don't see how to set up my board so a basic New Member can get promoted to another usergroup automatically after making X posts...

Can someone outline the way to do this? Thanks

Comment

• ENF
                  • Apr 2002

AdminCP -> Usergroups -> Promotions -> Click "Add New Promotion"

Set the information as required, number of posts required and which user group to move the user to AFTER they have reach the set number of posts.

vBulletin's scheduled task system does promotions for users once every hour by default. The promotion will not happen immediately when the user reaches the required post count.

In your case: (Creating a new Promotion based on a user's post count)

Line #1 - Choose the group that contains where the new users are.
                  Line #2 - Leave Blank (does not apply for posts) [delete whatever is in there]
                  Line #3 - Leave Blank (does not apply for posts) [delete whatever is in there]
                  Line #4 - Set the required number of posts to achieve the promotion.
                  Line #5 - Promotion Strategy: Posts
                  Line #6 - Primary User Group
                  Line #7 - Ignore, Not applicable.
                  Line #8 - Which user group to move the new user to AFTER achieving the number of required posts.

Click Save. You are done.
                  To be updated...

Comment

• tribedude
                    • Feb 2002

Thanks, I am going to give it a try.

Comment