Upgrade question - Does vbulletin provide upgrade services?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brettxw
    • Feb 2009

Upgrade question - Does vbulletin provide upgrade services?

Does vbulletin provided upgrade services? I know this is a paid service but was wondering if they do. Example, upgrading from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4.
  • brettxw
    • Feb 2009

Anyone?

Comment

• Ramsesx
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Step 2 if you order a new license --> Professional Installation - $150.00
      So I think they provide an upgrade service.

Comment

• icarusforde
        • Feb 2009
        • 3.8.x

I'm not sure, but i would imagine that the install service would cover upgrades too.

Comment

• doggiebs
          • Sep 2008

It really isn't that hard to upgrade your forum, have you got a mate who could do it for you, who originally installed 3.8.1 for you? As long as you backup your files on your website and the database you will be fine.

Have a read of the install instructions in the manual it looks more scary than it is.

If you are using cpanel on your site, click on backup and click on home directory (this will backup all your site) and then click on PHPMyAdmin in the database section and click on the database in the left hand side and click export>tick save as file and also tick gzipped and then click Go and save it.

Download 3.8.4 from the members area (if you haven't already)

rename the config.php.new (upload/includes) file to config.php and open it in your text editor, wordpad etc - not MS Word and edit the required details.

get yourself an FTP Client (i use Filezilla it's free and available for most formats)

connect to your server via filezilla

Host: this is usually your domain i.e. yourdomain.com (no http etc needed) or an IP address (this will probably in your welcome email from your web host)
          User: same as your cpanel
          Password: same as your cpanel

click connect, after connected

Go to either www or public_html folder and you will see the folders of your website, click on the one for your forum and delete all the files within it (if you have any mods installed, you should export them first via the ACP) (make should you have backup your files first, see above), drag and drop from your local all the files from the upload folder into this folder after they have uploaded goto www.yourdomain.com/forumpath/install/upgrade.php

following the instructions on screen and you should be done.
          Last edited by doggiebs; Sat 9 Jan '10, 1:21pm.

Comment

• Wynand
            • Mar 2006
            • 3.6.x

Upgrading to a new vB version is one thing (an easy thing), making sure all the styles and modifications are still fine is an other. I doubt they offer a service that includes mods/skins.
            It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
            Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

Yes, we provide a professional upgrade service but this relates to the forum software only. We don't work with modifications as these are not part of the default code (in fact, we ask that they're turned off prior to upgrading or do so oursleves before we do).
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• brettxw
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by doggiebs
                It really isn't that hard to upgrade your forum, have you got a mate who could do it for you, who originally installed 3.8.1 for you? As long as you backup your files on your website and the database you will be fine.

Have a read of the install instructions in the manual it looks more scary than it is.

If you are using cpanel on your site, click on backup and click on home directory (this will backup all your site) and then click on PHPMyAdmin in the database section and click on the database in the left hand side and click export>tick save as file and also tick gzipped and then click Go and save it.

Download 3.8.4 from the members area (if you haven't already)

rename the config.php.new (upload/includes) file to config.php and open it in your text editor, wordpad etc - not MS Word and edit the required details.

get yourself an FTP Client (i use Filezilla it's free and available for most formats)

connect to your server via filezilla

Host: this is usually your domain i.e. yourdomain.com (no http etc needed) or an IP address (this will probably in your welcome email from your web host)
                User: same as your cpanel
                Password: same as your cpanel

click connect, after connected

Go to either www or public_html folder and you will see the folders of your website, click on the one for your forum and delete all the files within it (if you have any mods installed, you should export them first via the ACP) (make should you have backup your files first, see above), drag and drop from your local all the files from the upload folder into this folder after they have uploaded goto www.yourdomain.com/forumpath/install/upgrade.php

following the instructions on screen and you should be done.
                I have experience with FTP and what not, just last time I attempted to upgrade, I caused the site to crash and get MySQL errors.

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                Yes, we provide a professional upgrade service but this relates to the forum software only. We don't work with modifications as these are not part of the default code (in fact, we ask that they're turned off prior to upgrading or do so oursleves before we do).
                I just need to get the forums up to date, the mods and templates won't be affected by the update, how much is the upgrade service from 3.8.3 to 3.8.4 level 2 patch?

Comment

• icarusforde
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I just need to get the forums up to date, the mods and templates won't be affected by the update, how much is the upgrade service from 3.8.3 to 3.8.4 level 2 patch?
                  It'll be a flat $150.

Comment

• Wynand
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 3.6.x

You're probably better off finding someone in the paid section of vB.org then, 150$ for 3.8.3 -> 3.8.4PL2 is quite overpriced.
                    It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
                    Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment