Can someone explain to me how the Usergroup Permissions work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

Can someone explain to me how the Usergroup Permissions work?

Ok, time to laugh, i'm a vb guru, and i can't stand the permissions system... so someone, please tell me.

is FALSE ++ TRUE === TRUE ???

if primary is FALSE and secondary is TRUE, mathematically the result is supposed to be TRUE, no???

so why if all my users are primary disabled, if a user have a secondary ug enabled, logically he is supposed to be enabled at the end?

that is never the case in vBulletin... looks like the secondary usergroups have not a single effect on primary groups whatsoever...

the example:

Registered Users is set to "Can Post Threads" to NO
    Prime Members is set to "Can Post Threads" to YES

all my users are "registered members" as primary, and people who pay a subscription on my site receive the "Prime Members" as a secondary group...

so mathematically, and logically, once you are in that situation, you are supposed to have posting enabled.

why isn't it the case in vBulletin ????
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Nexia, make sure your primary group has "Allow Users to have Member Groups" set to yes.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

This permission is used to let users access Public/Joinable Usergroups Lynne...

at it is the GOAL of that permission... lol
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

No its not Nexi, Lynne is correct. If you set Allow users to have Member groups to no, then they can't be part of secdar group and acnnot get their permissions.

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

Oh... thanks then Zachery and Lynne...

for the last years i always thought wrongly...

see how i am weak...

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by nexialys
            Oh... thanks then Zachery and Lynne...

for the last years i always thought wrongly...

see how i am weak...
            It's nice to know that even someone with your amount of experience doesn't know everything (but I won't tell, nexia!).

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• nexialys
              • May 2004
              • 1.1.x

oh, Lynne you can tell... use this thread as a reference when someone claim that i'm the best coder ever... *(which occur everyday on my site btw)...

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by nexialys
                oh, Lynne you can tell... use this thread as a reference when someone claim that i'm the best coder ever... *(which occur everyday on my site btw)...
                You'll probably go back and edit the posts to say something *completely* different!

Comment

• nexialys
                  • May 2004
                  • 1.1.x

could you, just for one moment, imagine that i'm a cool and fair guy... rofl

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

{{{Lynne tries hard to imagine a world where Nexia is a cool and fair guy.}}}

Comment

• nexialys
                      • May 2004
                      • 1.1.x

see: http://vbenhancer.com/officials/lot-...s-2010-a/7263/ ... i'm not THAT bad

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

I know, Nexia, but you are fun to kid around with.

Comment

• Elyk
                          • Sep 2003
                          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                          Nexia, make sure your primary group has "Allow Users to have Member Groups" set to yes.
                          Just wondering what should this setting be then for secondary groups, should it be set for allow users to have member groups or not allow users to have member groups?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...