X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bugzy
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.7.x

3.8.4 PL2 users are having cookie / re-login issues

They now have to re-login everytime they come back to the site. Any known issues with PL2?
  • icarusforde
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

They will have had to login once because the patch did something with cookies... But every time? Seriously? Uhm.... are they selecting 'remember me'? :P

Comment

• Doug Nelson
      • Aug 2001

I'm having a problem somewhere in-between. Not every time, but frequently.

Comment

• magz
        • Nov 2006
        • 4.1.x

hmm, Ive had some comments from members too, since upgrading to pl2, ive had it a few times too.
        Follow Chatanplay on Twitter, Youtube and Facebook

Comment

• bugzy
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
          I'm having a problem somewhere in-between. Not every time, but frequently.
          same ... but its close to everytime. if they keep the browser open, it stays logged in, but if you close the browser and re-open it and connect to the forum, it requires login again

Comment

• MoMan
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

Ask them to clear their cookies entirely, and then log in. 'Remember me' will work.
            Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Comment

• Chuck Holton
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.6.x

Not for everyone; on the board we admin @, it works for some, not for others. I've been advising them to do everything listed previously (check 'Remember Me', clear cookies, etc.) and it's simply not working for everyone.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

When clearing cookies, make sure that all browsers are closed first.

If your users continue to have issues, changing the cookie prefix for your site will help also (although it will log everyone out).
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• acwatts
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Some of my users are having problems as well since the patch/upgrade.

Comment

• parkd
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 3.8.x

I seem to be experiencing this problem on 2 forums running 3.8.4, one I run, the other is run by another corp. Members have been complaining about this issue for about a month. I had them clear their cookies. It only seems to affect users running IE. I started having the issue this morning on both forums. It seems to log me out if I use the quick reply. If I use advanced, it does not bump me from the system. Subsequent quick replies work after posting using advanced for me. Possibly it may be an issue with Google Waves frame in IE. I just installed wave yesterday and I checked with one of the other users and he stated he installed wave about a month ago and started having issues. Is anyone else using google's wave frame for ie?
                    Last edited by parkd; Fri 25 Dec '09, 4:16pm. Reason: added info.

Comment

• Deimos
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.8.x

Same problem here, hasn't happened to me on my own machine, but on another two machines, it never keeps me logged in.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Close all browser windows/tabs except for one.

Logout of your site.

Close the final browser window.

Delete the cookies for your site.

Log back in.

This issue only occurs if you have cookie corruption and the new one fails to overwrite the old one. You can cause this simply by having a site open in two windows/tabs at the same time and closing a tab with the old cookies after one with the new cookies. It predominantly happens in browsers that store cookie information in memory, as is all of them that have a Private Browsing feature.

Alternatively, you can change the cookie prefix in your config.php file as stated above. This will log everyone out but will circumvent the cookie corruption issue.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• acwatts
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

How do you tell users to delete cookies after the browser is closed, the delete cookies option is built in to the browser. ?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Well with Internet Explorer, they can delete them from their Internet Options control panel. It is going to be the worst culprit. The others they would re-open the browser. The closing is to ensure that all memory is flushed to the drive and there is no conflict.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• parkd
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Tried the solutions listed on my forum with my ID and still have the same issues. I changed the cookie prefix in the config.php file. I closed all ie windows, cleared cookies and even temp internet files. Restarted ie, went to my site, logged in and went to do a quick reply and it tells me I must log in. Re logged in and refreshed the page, it was back to the login page. Logged in again, and used the advanced option to post and I was able to post and the problems stopped. I have no issues with firefox, safari or chrome, just ie. A majority of my users use ie. I will uninstall the Google wave frame for ie and try again. I will post if that fixes my issues.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...