Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomcat1765
    • Jan 2009

User can't post replies anymore??

I did a quick search for this problem, but didn't find anything that could help me.

One of the experts on my forum, who has been logging in and posting replies fine since day 1, is now receiving a message that he is "not logged in or doesn't have permission to post replies". I have double checked and rechecked his permissions multiple times and I have done nothing other than change his password as far as adjusting his account.

What other reasons could there be for a sudden inability to post replies?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
    www.PetDocsOnCall.com

PS...when I log in as that user, I can post replies just fine. Is there a browser setting or something that he might need to tweak?
    Last edited by Tomcat1765; Fri 18 Dec '09, 7:46am. Reason: added info
    Thomas F. Dock
    Reporter Relations Manager, Veterinary News Network
    Administrator, PetDocsOnCall.com
  • Shamil.
    • Feb 2008
    • 4.2.X

Is the user using the same browser? Tried cleared cache + cookies and then logging in then out?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Tomcat1765
      • Jan 2009

I will have him try that...thanks!
      Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• Ingenious
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.8.x

Also tell him to ensure he's not blocking cookies for your site, or has switched them off completely. It's normally cookie/browser related.
        Fireworks

Comment

• Tomcat1765
          • Jan 2009

Thanks! That resolved the issue. Is there some rhyme or reason to why one person's cache would need to be cleared more or less frequently than another person's? As the administrator of the site and an Internet junkie, I am on the Internet constantly and have not run across any problems like this personally. Should I inform my experts (who I rely on to answer visitor's questions) to clear their cache and cookies on a regular basis?

FYI...I have been very happy with this community and the answers I get here...you all are very helpful for a newbie like me!
          Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• Shamil.
            • Feb 2008
            • 4.2.X

Well, it depends on usage of the browser; how frequent this person uses the internet with that browser. Objects such as images and some HTML is stored by the browser for quick viewing later. However, as time goes by, this cache grows in size and is vulnerable to some sort of "poisoning", causing issues such as.

No problem, it is my pleasure to help
            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
            vBulletin Hosting and Services
            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Tomcat1765
              • Jan 2009

Ok...I am back to square one. This same user reported to me today that he can't log in again despite following both of the abovementioned steps. It appears that he has been able to log in over the last 2 weeks, but he had issues again today.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks!
              Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• Tomcat1765
                • Jan 2009

Update...I now have at least one more user who is experiencing this problem. They are able to login, the site recognizes them, but when they go to post a reply to a thread, the error message stating that they don't have access to the page comes up.

Permissions for these users shows that they CAN post replies, etc.

Looking for ANY answers!!

Thanks!
                Last edited by Tomcat1765; Tue 12 Jan '10, 8:08am.
                Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Do you allow users to view your site at both www.yoursite.com and yoursite.com? Redirect one to the other (google htaccess to do so).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Tomcat1765
                    • Jan 2009

Yes...users can utilize either address.
                    Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

And what you are your cookie settings? My guess is the cookie is being set for one url and not the other and that is causing the problem.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Tomcat1765
                        • Jan 2009

Thanks Lynne...that seemed to have solved the issue for one user and I am hoping that the second user gets the same result.

HOWEVER...now a brand new user got the same error message after registering. How do other people handle this type of situation? Surely I can't be unique with this problem? Do you post announcements telling people to allow cookies for the site?

Vbulletin was unable to replicate the problem, so their response is that it must be a user browser/cookie/security setting. How do you tell millions of potential visitors to your site (that you want to become active members of the site) how to address this potential roadblock for participation?

Sorry for the vent...I just really want the site to work well (as it has so far) and these little setbacks are annoying to me. Plus, throw in the fact that I am not a computer programmer and its almost a recipe for disaster!! :-)
                        Thomas F. Dock

Comment

• rickvr
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 3.8.x

I see you are now using version 4.0 and I bet your problem started on 3.8.4 when you installed patch level 2 (pl2). This has caused issues with numerous boards because it changed how cookies are created with a new salt. I recommend you read the thread in 3.8 install issues forum for fixes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...