Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Checkypoint
    • Oct 2009

Content Encoding Error

Hello, I am faced with an error that I cannot fix. Everytime I try to go to my forum (located at: http://forum.demonflyff.com/) I am faced with the following error: "Content Encoding Error. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 and have been having this problem for the last week. I can't even get to my forum homepage, so I can't go into the Admin CP or anything.

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Checkypoint
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Checkypoint
    Hello, I am faced with an error that I cannot fix. Everytime I try to go to my forum (located at: http://forum.demonflyff.com/) I am faced with the following error: "Content Encoding Error. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 and have been having this problem for the last week. I can't even get to my forum homepage, so I can't go into the Admin CP or anything.

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Checkypoint
    This is a known bug with vBulletin due to gzip, it's fixed in version 4 but not (yet) backported to version 3.
    Open up global.php and below <?php on a new line add:
    PHP Code:
    ini_set('output_buffering'false);
    while (
    ob_get_level()) {ob_end_clean();} 
    At least, I hope this solves that issue. It started happening on my site when I started adding too short plugins. like echo "hi"; would trigger it.

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

Try adding this to your config.php file:
      PHP Code:
      DEFINE('NOZIP'1); 
      Whoops, nevermind, floris knows the answer.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Checkypoint
        • Oct 2009

I will try that now. Thank you for the quick responses! I will update this post in just a few minutes saying whether or not it worked/didn't work.

Edit: I'm still getting the same Content Encoding Error. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

Have you tried contacting your host and asking if they did something to your server right before you started getting this error?

Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
          Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
          define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Checkypoint
            • Oct 2009

I'll try that right now, Lynne. I've already contacted my hosts and asked them about it and they said they did nothing of the kind.

Comment

• Checkypoint
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Lynne
              Have you tried contacting your host and asking if they did something to your server right before you started getting this error?

Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
              Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
              define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 
              Still getting the same error. =[ Anything else I can do?

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

I cannot think of anything. I suppose you can put in a Support Ticket. They will want all mods disabled and a default style to use.

Comment

• Checkypoint
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Lynne
                  I cannot think of anything. I suppose you can put in a Support Ticket. They will want all mods disabled and a default style to use.
                  Mkay, thanks for everything.

Comment

• DirtyHarry
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Hello Checkypoint,
                    I saw a few websites with the same error in the past days due to an hack that had modified some php files. First, try scanning your vbulletin files using vBulletin diagnostic tools for changed/edited files. If that finds nothing, check all files edited recently in your machine. If you are on Linux using find with mtime will help (ex. find . -type f -mtime -2 will look for files edited in the past two days).

Otherwise, it could either be a modification you have just installed that requires some file editing, which in vB 3.5.x were more common, that is outputting some stuff.

Hope this helps!
                    CarlitoBrigante on vb.org - MagnetiCat.com
                    Professional vBulletin development, support, upgrades

Comment

• creativepart
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Same thing has happened to me today. I can't find any changed files and I uninstalled the one new mod I had installed. Forumhome just won't display.

I tried disabling every mod but it didn't help. Then I turned off the Hook system and that made forumhome come back.

I can't find anything that's changed except the one mod I installed yesterday (which was working yesterday). So, nothing's changed with that mod removed.

Comment

• creativepart
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                        This is a known bug with vBulletin due to gzip, it's fixed in version 4 but not (yet) backported to version 3.
                        Open up global.php and below <?php on a new line add:
                        PHP Code:
                        ini_set('output_buffering'false);
                        while (
                        ob_get_level()) {ob_end_clean();} 
                        At least, I hope this solves that issue. It started happening on my site when I started adding too short plugins. like echo "hi"; would trigger it.
                        This didn't do anything to help.

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by creativepart
                          This didn't do anything to help.
                          Then it's a hosting problem and not a configuration problem. And has nothing to do with vBulletin.
                          Contact your host to resolve this.

Comment

• creativepart
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                            Then it's a hosting problem and not a configuration problem. And has nothing to do with vBulletin.
                            Contact your host to resolve this.
                            I run 4 VB forums on this dedicated server. All set up the same. Only one has shown up with this issue this morning. All the other forums are running fine -- same host, same server, same mods same everything.

Comment