"Can View Thread Content" - exact meaning?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary303
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.0.x

"Can View Thread Content" - exact meaning?

Admin CP > Usergroups
    Edit Usergroup
    Forum Viewing Permissions - Can View Thread Content

This setting is also found in Usergroups > Forum Permissions...
    click on any forum for individual forum-usergroup settings

I always thought that this meant a user could view the contents of threads ... that is, the posts in a thread.

But I think I just figured out it means they can enter the forum and view thread titles only. Not the posts.

Is the second one what is correct?

(testing has confused me ... there are potentially cross-wise permissions settings that can override any one ... )

Also ... "Can View Others' Threads" ... I'm not completely sure of the meaning of this, either. I think this is the one for viewing thread posts. Is that right? The "Other's" is puzzling because surely one can view all threads when this is checked, including those started by oneself.
  • MoMan
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mary303
    I always thought that this meant a user could view the contents of threads ... that is, the posts in a thread.

But I think I just figured out it means they can enter the forum and view thread titles only. Not the posts.

(testing has confused me ... there are potentially cross-wise permissions settings that can override any one ... )
    Both of those mean the same thing and are correct.

Also ... "Can View Others' Threads" ... I'm not completely sure of the meaning of this, either. I think this is the one for viewing thread posts. Is that right? The "Other's" is puzzling because surely one can view all threads when this is checked, including those started by oneself.
    This permission determines whether or not you can view threads started by other members. This includes the posts within them, too, but does not include others' posts in your own threads.
    Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Comment

• Mary303
      • Oct 2006
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MoMan
      Both of those mean the same thing and are correct.
      No ... afraid this answer is not understanding the question.

Viewing the posts in the thread means viewing the content of the thread - the posts.

Viewing only the thread titles means no view to the thread content. The view is of thread titles in the forum - but not the posts in the thread.

It is confusing ... But a very major difference, in the first the usergroup can read all content, in the second the usergroup can view only thread titles.

I do want to get it straight what is meant by "Can View Thread Content," because I am fairly sure it is the second definition. Not the first - not the posts. If this is so, then I think "Can View Thread Content" should be changed to "Can View Thread Titles." Much more clear, imo.

Comment

• Mary303
        • Oct 2006
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by MoMan
        This permission determines whether or not you can view threads started by other members. This includes the posts within them, too, but does not include others' posts in your own threads.
        It doesn't include other's posts in your own threads? That sounds crazy ... what would be the logic behind excluding a member's view of other posts in their own threads, while at the same time enabling the member's view of the threads of others?

And I'm not sure I quite believe that, with all due respect. It seems that members who are able to view the threads of others can also view all posts in their own threads. I haven't yet observed or heard otherwise.

The Manual doesn't explain this very well ... if at all. imo

Comment

• MoMan
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

Right, but if you set Can View Thread Content to no while keeping everything else default, you'll get exactly that- can't view the thread content but can view the title.

The permission technically only affects your ability to view posts within a thread, but the above is the typical use of this permission, and in this case of both the conditions you mentioned in your original post would be true.

I use this permission in a contest forum, so that users can view the number of submissions, but can't see their contents.
          Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Comment

• MoMan
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

It doesn't include other's posts in your own threads? That sounds crazy ... what would be the logic behind excluding a member's view of other posts in their own threads, while at the same time enabling the member's view of the threads of others?

And I'm not sure I quite believe that, with all due respect. It seems that members who are able to view the threads of others can also view all posts in their own threads. I haven't yet observed or heard otherwise.

The Manual doesn't explain this very well ... if at all. imo
            You would use this permission if you want people to only be able to view their own threads within a forum. I use this on my site as well:

There is an article submission section, and you can only view your own submissions. However, if an admin replies to your submission thread, you're still able to view that reply.

There would be no point in having a permission to hide others' posts in your own thread, since this equates to thread/forum closure or hiding of the entire thread.
            Adam

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...