X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VonDoom
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

Dial Up Users

What would be the best way to go about lightening the load for members with older/slower systems or may still be using dialup. My forum is modded to the max and these members are having troubles with there systems locking up. I need a good alternative for them while still leaving my forum as is for the rest of the community. Also is there an easy way to upload a style without it automaticaly activating the installed hacks. so that i could have a stock vB with no addons, for these members
    Any Ideas??

Regards, VonDoom
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Their systems should not lockup just because of dialup. Honestly your best bet would be to slim down what you don't need.

Comment

• VonDoom
      • Dec 2008
      • 3.8.x

really dont know how that works. havent had dial up since 99. but either way there has to be sometype of alternative for them other then trimming the fat. witch we plan on doing when vB4.0 comes out. But in the mean time. any other ideas. The forum still runs like greased lightning for most members.
      Last edited by VonDoom; Wed 30 Sep '09, 8:53pm. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

• VonDoom
        • Dec 2008
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        Their systems should not lockup just because of dialup. Honestly your best bet would be to slim down what you don't need.
        Thats not what i asked. I asked for an alternative for a very small percentage of members on my forum. no hack is essential to any forum esp one as powerful a vB. Is there an easy way to upload a style without it auto importing template edits? Or an easy way to revert a style to default vB?

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by VonDoom
          Thats not what i asked. I asked for an alternative for a very small percentage of members on my forum. no hack is essential to any forum esp one as powerful a vB. Is there an easy way to upload a style without it auto importing template edits? Or an easy way to revert a style to default vB?
          Don't expect an easy solution.
          vB.org might be able to give you a solution for a few hundred bucks.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Yes, create a new style with no parent.

Comment

• cbiweb
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.1.x

Create a style (skin, theme, whatever you call it) that has no images. That means removing all buttons, icons, background gradients and anything else graphical; replace them with text or regular background colors. That would go a long way to helping dial-up users.
              ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

really dont know how that works. havent had dial up since 99. but either way there has to be sometype of alternative for them other then trimming the fat. witch we plan on doing when vB4.0 comes out. But in the mean time. any other ideas. The forum still runs like greased lightning for most members.
                The main problem with vBulletin 3.X and dialup would be the table based layout. Most browsers will not render a table until they have downloaded the complete table. Currently you have 5 or 6 tables on the front page...

Header, Navbar, Notices (if used), Forum List, What's Going On, Footer.

The Forum List would be the big one as it is one large table so if you have a lot of forums it takes a lot of data to download an render. You could set the forum depth to 1 for dialup users but then they would have to load more pages to get where they need to be. The only realistic answer would be to remove some of the forums or to break up the table. If you install one of the Category spacing mods, it would break up the table so each category and its sub-forums are in their own tables.

Other than that there really isn't much you can do. There is no way programmatically to determine if someone is on dial-up or broadband.

vBulletin 4 will include a semantic layout where instead of tables the layout is controlled by divs and lists. These are quicker to download and easier to render by browsers so simply upgrading to vBulletin 4 when it is available should give your dial-up users a speed boost.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• VonDoom
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 3.8.x

Thank you Very Much I will look into all the above suggestions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...